d15b vtec-e vs d15z1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

believer

I purchased a d15b vtec-e to replace my d15z1. My goal was to achieve at least thet same gas mileage if not better since the d15b has 40K miles as opposed to the d15z1 with 258K.
I swapped it out but the d15b sucks on gas. I'm getting 32mpg versus the 40+ I used to get on the d15z1.

I'm stuck with the motor so I was wondering if I could swap out parts from the d15z1 into the d15b to achieve the same gas mileage as before or is it a lost cause. :(

Thanx in advance for your help.

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Sep 15 2005, 10:43 PM
Swap teh head y0.
[post=555287]Quoted post[/post]​

I dont think you can just swap the head, i dont belive it has the same pistons. you would be killed with that compression.

what d15b are you talking about? the jdm 3 stage obd2 d15b? Why did you pick it up? And are you still running the vx transmission? If not, that will have a big affect on your gas mileage.

you can swap heads on a z1 block for sure. its actually not a bad lil setup. its like 7.8:1 compression i believe. throw 20 psi at it and just go with it.

Originally posted by hotrex@Sep 15 2005, 11:48 PM
you can swap heads on a z1 block for sure. its actually not a bad lil setup. its like 7.8:1 compression i believe. throw 20 psi at it and just go with it.
[post=555308]Quoted post[/post]​

technicaly its about 8:1, the d15z1 has 0 piston-deck height clearance.

I just did it on my ef hatch, gona be runnin boost.

however, if he put the d15z1 head onto the d15b, it will boost compression like woah.

if your main goal is gas milage, get a geo metro or a prius... 30 something is still good gas milage dude. oyud barf if you knew what my teg and work van got to the mile... hint.. both combined dont even add up to 32 mpg.......

Originally posted by hotrex@Sep 16 2005, 12:19 AM
if your main goal is gas milage, get a geo metro or a prius... 30 something is still good gas milage dude. oyud barf if you knew what my teg and work van got to the mile... hint.. both combined dont even add up to 32 mpg.......
[post=555320]Quoted post[/post]​

ya, but if you used to 45-50mpg city drivin, lol... even 32mpg is a bit more expensive.
I cant wait to get my vx, b/c i deliver pizzas in my minivan right now, 17mpg and im spendin 15 bux a nite in gas outta my tips. the vx will be 5 bux.

anyways... any more questions on it?

Originally posted by 5speed4life+Sep 16 2005, 10:36 AM-->
@Sep 16 2005, 12:19 AM
if your main goal is gas milage, get a geo metro or a prius...    30 something is still good gas milage dude.  oyud barf if you knew what my teg and work van got to the mile... hint.. both combined dont even add up to 32 mpg.......
[post=555320]Quoted post[/post]​

ya, but if you used to 45-50mpg city drivin, lol... even 32mpg is a bit more expensive.
I cant wait to get my vx, b/c i deliver pizzas in my minivan right now, 17mpg and im spendin 15 bux a nite in gas outta my tips. the vx will be 5 bux.

anyways... any more questions on it?
[post=555426]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh btw, try swapping the intake manifold/injectors, and keep the vx trans. that should help you out alot.

as you said the d15b + vtec e head of d15z1 goes compression crazy i have a friend with this combination he is eating stock sohc vtec like nothing i was thinking to put a d16y8 intake manifold and ls throttle body 58mm.

do you think it would be a good setup becuase the d15z1 head stock come with a 40mm tb so it would be a 1.8mm increment i would like to hear your inputs thanks

yeah

both of those motors are considered vtec e only when you go jdm is it a real vtec ... american cars are always dumbed down .... ps my gsr gets 40 mpg highway and 34 in the city ... yeow

So you got a regular D15B instead of a VTEC-E one?

You can swap pistons and head. If you get it tuned, you can run the stock P08 pistons with that head and have zero issues. The compression isn't all too high either, like 11.5:1.

Xisco check your math.

BTW, I hit 57MPG, highway, with a cammed D15B VTEC. I was running the wrong ECU too and cruising at 4000rpm. :D

Back