d15b vtec motor into 93 civic ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicrcr

i recently blew the motor in my 93 civic ex, and i want to get the exact same motor that is in the car now, but im having trouble finding the D16Z6 motor, so i want to order the d15b JDM motor and have it put in the car. Does the d15b vtec motor swap right into this car with no problems? Or will i have to get different wiring since it is a Japanese motor going into an american version of the car.

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Sep 12 2005, 09:08 AM
direct drop in :)
[post=552962]Quoted post[/post]​

he's right its a direct, perfect ,exact fit with no problems
just make sure its not a d15b vtec-e motor

hey guys, got a similar situation. got a 94 civic ex vtec with a blown head gasket and with 180k miles on it. Got a JDB d15b for $400. Got the motor out then i realized that i need to smog the damn thing. Will the JDM d15b pass smog in Cali?

It can if you have all the right emissions equipment on it. Since I don't live in Cali, I don't know what you need- but someone on here has done it and posted about it. You might try to search for "smog" and "jdm" together.

i got a d16 out a 94 ex has about 80k miles on it.... i will sell you.... make me an offer you can take then engine, tranny, ecu, shift linkages.... whatever else you need..... i am swapping a b18b1 into my ex... so thats why i am selling everything....

thanks for the offer Jus Jai Bee, but i already dished out 4 bills for the d15b. Damn you guys respond fast!!! Just finished doing some research online regarding the engine swap, it seems that in cali as long as your replacement engine is the same year or newer that will be fine. Since the d15b is the same as the Vx model in the U.S. its all good.

big props to all you guys here!!! Just finished doing the engine swap D16z to D15b and it was eaiser than my 73 VW. I have to say the D16z power curve is alot smoother than the D15b, the Vtec in the D15b is way more agressive, and you can definatly feel it around 5000 rpm. Its like the powerband on my dirt bike. Notice the idle would fluctuate around 1k to 2k for only a few seconds and would return to normal. Dont have any trouble codes. Any suggestions? There is also some knocking sounds, perhaps its bad gas due to the fact that the car was sitting in the garage for about 2 years!!! Will drive around town untill empty and refill tank will get back to you guys on that. Hope it's not a bad engine from Japan. Will go for smog soon, whish me luck!!!

Fill up a jug with new gas, drain your tank, then refill. Don't run on the old gas, especially if it's been sitting for 2 years.

I would check all your intake system gaskets (manifold, throttle body) to start troubleshooting your idle problem.

Thanks Calesta! Do you guys know what the timing spec for the D15b? Is it 15 degrees BTDC red mark???

Not sure- I would assume 16 BTDC, but that's just going by memory of how my old engine (not a D15B) was set up.

Cool, seems to run alot better, It was the timing. I noticed a ticking noise comming from under the dash near the passenger's side??? It's not the valves, the ticking noise sounds like the ticking of a clock (tick toc tic toc) for about 2 seconds and stops. It's really loud and it happens when i hit a big pot hole????!!! any ideas???

Not suspension, or axle balance weight, but that's good though. It is comming directley from under the passenger's dashboard. What the hell is underneath there any ways?? SRS and computer chip is all i can think of but the noise sounds like a ticking time bomb, it clicks real loud and real fast for about 1sec it only happens when i run ova a pot hole or hit the brakes REALLY hard. It sounds like when your hard drive takes a dump or sumthing?????

i done a swap to a 95 honda civic from 1.5 to a jdm 1.5 vtech and im having problems hooking up the vtech wires to the computer.? where does the three wires go

Back