D15B Vtec swap/boost/vtec/?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i dont see any turbo's on that site that say d15b...will the d16 one work with it???or....

Pretty much any d-series turbo kits will fit on any d-series engine I would assume since the engines are pretty much the same. Yea the d16 is the one I'd go with it should bolt right on with very little modification if any.

i'm checkin them out right now....hopefully i can get one of those $1,000 deals. 3k for just the turbo kit seems like a lot for a car with a $500 motor lol

But when you could double or even triple your horsepower it sounds worth it to me :D. D-series motors stock can handle about 250 whp max with a perfect tune but if you beef up the internals they have a potential of over 400 whp. I'm keeping mine stock and only boosting to 200 whp. But hell that's waaaay in the future after I fix up the rest of it. I got a cracked windshield, interior work to be done, need a new hood (hate the ricer ass type R hood it came with), gotta get the a/c system and engine cooling systems fixed, my radio installed, some small dents removed and painted over, and of course my engine swap first.

Oh damn, I'm doing the engine swap soon have the money for it right now, buying some rota slipstreams an low profile tires next month. Then the turbo which i can have by mid Feb. An my car will be almost complete. Interior is great, and at my work i can paint it for like $50 any color i want. Feb, i'm going to do a brake kit conversion so i have rear discs also. My car will be complete by the end of February. It'll be nice.

you can just take the slave cyl. off by unbloting it from the tranny and leave the line on so when you do swap the D15B you just rebolt the slave cyl. up and no need for bleeding. theres a site called homemadeturbo.com
its a good site to peace a turbo kit together. ive swap from a D15B7 to a D15B to now my B18C. The only problem i had was that the D15B didnt come with a spot to put the EGR Valve that was the only problem. oh and the D15B7 intake mani wont work ive already tried, a 92-95 SI will work or you can find another vacume sorce.

Last edited:
Why did you try the b7 IM? The ones from hmotorsonline include the complete longblock and I'm adding the transmission and ecu to it. Thanks for the info on the slave cylinder I think bleeding it would have sucked ass.

Redcivicsi when you order your swap are you getting the transmission with it? If you are make sure you ask them for an LSD tranny some d15b's came with LSD.

d15b7 = the shitty stock engine that 92-95 5th gen dx's and lx's like my sedan came with.

JDM D15B Vtec = the best d-series engine you can buy :)

I haven't decided yet....Because i'm only gonna have this set up for about 4 months tops... then i'm going with the b18c1 engine an gsr tranny also...so idk. cause my tranny right now is fine and can't i always just buy the lsd differental whenever?

Your name says your car's a dx so you might want to buy the ex or si tranny. Dx gearing sucks and when you shift you'll fall out of vtec. If you're not getting the tranny to go with it I'd suggest you don't get the ecu either because you won't stay in vtec when changing gears so you may as well keep your d15b7's ecu and not use vtec. That'd save you $350 right there for your b18 swap since you can't fully enjoy the d15b anyway (or any vtec motor) with dx gearing. An EX or SI (or original d15b LSD tranny) would do fine if you want vtec.

ohhhh well like 5 people on here have told me my tranny i have right now would be fine because they're both dseries and it's not like i'm getting some huge engine an little tranny. but yes i'll probably get the tranny also, it's only like what $200 more for the tranny too?

Yea don't get me wrong your tranny is fine it WILL bolt up directly and work fine. The only thing is if you're racing around at WOT vtec is supposed to be engaged the whole time. With the dx tranny, when you shift gears, you'll fall below vtec (4500 rpm i believe).

vtec is suppose to be engaged the whole time???? I thought it's only engaged in the higher rpm's... but yes i'll probably get the tranny also. how easy is it to swap a tranny??? an like connecting the clutch stuff to it...im getting that haynes manual also.

Haha yea you might want to get the Haynes manual. And NO vtec's not engaged the whole time. I said driving around at WOT - wide open throttle aka pedal to the floor rpms up high. That's when vtec is engaged when you hit 4500 rpms and up. So what I'm saying is when you do drive at WOT with a dx transmission, and you shift gears, the rpms will drop too low and disengage vtec so it will suck ass. But with an ex/si/original d15b lsd tranny, the rpms won't drop below 4500 so you'll be in vtec the whole time you're at WOT.

Putting the your clutch on the new engine is simple it bolts right up the same way you take it off your old one. Putting on the transmission bolts onto the clutch. I thought you worked in a shop??

EDIT: by the way, now is a great time to get a new clutch since you will have the engine out of the vehicle already

Last edited:
i just got a new clutch in it. i'm probably gonna keep this one until i get the b18, it's a good clutch. stage 2. i do work in a shop, an i was mostly just asking about like the bleeding stuff... but i think i have it figured out. the shop i work at, 90% of the cars are exotic, ferrari, mercedes, lambo, stuff like that. I detail everything, i'm trained to paint any cars, an i do some engine stuff on honda's an domestic types of cars. i haven't swapped anything all by myself yet. so it's a little different then doing it when somebody tells ya what to do an helps you. but i think i got this all down. an for sure i'm gonna get that tranny also. so you an I will have the same set up!!! nice

Cept I got a short ram intake and well I'm almost ashamed to say it...but yes my ride has a fart can on it with a glasspack so it sounds like a catback and not farting or rattling. Lol sounds great actually just like a catback but it's still a fake.

Also remember you'll have to reuse your d15b7 exhaust manifold because the d15b vtec comes with a 2 piece that won't bolt up to the catalytic converter. Here's a helpful link: JDM d15b install into 94 sedan (w/ d15b7) - D-series.org

Back