d15b VTEC swap into 89 CRX HF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the o2 sensor has nothing to do with the obd. its just the way those ecu read the p08 needs a 1 wire the p28 needs a 4 wire, and thats goes for obd1 or obd2

That sucks. I will have to go look and see if I will have to swap my O2 sensors..

i had a d15b vtec ina 91 civic 4 door... my very first car... i bought it for 600 hundred... and i beat my friend's 2001 honda civic dx coupe... i love that engine

Hey, I need some help on a swap I am attempting to do... I recently bought a JDM d15b VTEC that I want to put into my 89 CRX HF.
I know I have to change the ecu to a p28 or a p08--I was wondering which one would be better--in order to get the vtec to work. Also, I want to know what other parts I'll have to buy to make the swap work and which ones I can just use from my current setup with the stock motor (d15b6). The motor came with the d16z6 throttle body, and I was wondering if I could use that, or if I'll have to use one from the d16a6. Or if I'll even have to change the whole intake manifold to the d16a6.
Will the distributor from my current motor work, or will I have to get another one? I was also wondering about the alternator and about all the senors...

Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you guys could help me out. Thanks!

i have a d15b in my 90 si hatch....you will need the dizzy for a d15b since its vtec. the d16a6 dizzy will not work. to wire it for vtec is simple....RYWIRE.COM has the obd0 to obd1 jumper harness with the vtec wiring already in place and its color coded so u just simply match the wire colors with the included instructions. i am using a p28 ecu with my swap with no engine problems other than stoopid emissions crap so it should work just fine

Thanks for all the help guys. I just noticed though that the driver's side engine mount doesn't fit right though... :( Does anyone know where I can find a mount for the engine that will fit my car?

Thanks for all the help guys. I just noticed though that the driver's side engine mount doesn't fit right though... :( Does anyone know where I can find a mount for the engine that will fit my car?
it fits just swap it out for your stock hf motor mount

you need the drivers side post bracket and mount from a 92-95 ex or si

maybe the post but not the mount...it sits differntly..slightly. trust me i have the SAME engine in my ef.
and i have the same motor in my 88 crx. when i did the swap all i had to do was take off the stock crx mount and put it onto the d15b vtec and it fits just fine and bolts right in

the engine bracket on my d15b has 3 bolts to secure the mount...is this where theres a problem? i had to reuse the engine bracket from my blown si motor for it to work..thats just me tho

Man I can't find a block for my motor to save my life. everyone wants like $300-$600 for motors with over 120,000 miles on them. I found a ton of d-series motors cheap a while back and now I can't find anything!

Hey, will the d16z6 manifold fit into the engine bay, or will I have to get one from an si or an aftermarket one? I measured the distance and it seems very sketchy... It's within a few milimeters... And I'm not sure exactly how it will fit once it's in. Btw, what exactly is a "dizzy"? Excuse my ignorance. :(

Ok, so I just figured out that meant distributor... lol. Well I have the one for the d15b6 not the d16a6. Will it simply not work because it wasn't built for vtec, or does it have to do with the different engine sizes?

Ok, so I just figured out that meant distributor... lol. Well I have the one for the d15b6 not the d16a6. Will it simply not work because it wasn't built for vtec, or does it have to do with the different engine sizes?

its diff cause its obd0 and fits the head differently. an obd0 dizzy (distributor lol) wont bolt to an obd1 head

everything will fit just fine heres the one i did

Attachments

• 450.jpg
    450.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 2,555
Hey, I need help on one more thing? Do I get the timing belt for the USDM d15b's, for the d16z6, or specifically for the JDM d15b vtec. I'm having a hard time finding one specifically for JDM version...

Back