1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D15B vtec swap

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by Kracer427, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Kracer427

Kracer427 Senior Member

just finished swaping the D15B VTEC engine into my 92 CX hatch, checked and double checked that every thing was connected, but it doesn't even rotate :angry: ! The battery seems fine (Volt gauge reads 12v), the starter is connected up, but when i try to turn it over all i get is a loud CLICK, like what a dead battery would do when you try to start it. What's going on here? :hmm:

2. slick*vic*

slick*vic* Member

your starter took a shit..............time for a new one

3. Kracer427

Kracer427 Senior Member

i've bought a brand new one for the swap....and checked the fuses... <_<

4. slick*vic*

slick*vic* Member

try turning the crank manually.......make sure the motor isnt locked.

5. Kracer427

Kracer427 Senior Member

transmission ground wire :doh: I'm in VTEC bliss now and it's never felt so good. Thanks for your help :)

6. driverunknown

driverunknown Senior Member

Awesome!!! Glad to hear you got it worked out.

7. commador

commador Member

nice. How do you like that engine? I am getting one soon and I would like to know about it. Does it pull hard?

8. Kracer427

Kracer427 Senior Member

engine pulls very hard, for an SOHC, and unlike the non-vtec D15B's the power curve just keeps going with VTEC there. I highly recommend this swap, it was actually pretty easy to do (with a few minor headaches), and you get to retain alot of your old stuff. The money you save on axles and engine mounts easily goes to more parts. The best part is your only 30 hp stock from a B16 and it weighs 75lbs less. I'm hoping to make up that 30hp loss soon enough and start chaos around town and the track :ph34r:

9. vtecsir1

vtecsir1 Senior Member

sweet, where did you get your motor?

10. illicon2003

illicon2003 Member

Engine grounding wires.........happened to me for a while because I lost the ground bolt nut...

11. Kracer427

Kracer427 Senior Member

i found the engine on eBay, i could refer you to this guy though, he supplies engines on the side and is a really cool, honest guy. He doesnt do pick up though, cuz most people get to his place and see the valve cover has a chip in it and say they don't want it anymore. Makes sense if you were selling it too, costs money to advertise. PM me for more. They usually go between $380 and 500. You gotta pick up an EX tranny though, otherwise it'll be useless to use with the stock tranny.

12. SnailTrail

SnailTrail Junior Member

:spin: i did same swap but i used a DX tranny. Wanted to keep low freeway rpm's in 5th is why. To increase my acceleration all i did was lighten the stock flyweel 3lbs & add a 6puck cermic clutch B) . Now im Ballin On A Budget :mullet:

This puppy like a fat kid loves cake!

13. SnailTrail

SnailTrail Junior Member

quick question. I used a new Timing belt from NAPA :huh: for a 1.5l VX . if you changed your belt...how did you set the timing for it? I think i messed up the timing so mine is in a shop :roll: they are telling me i have wrong belt. i think this is a load of crap. they also said the vtec motor didnt go into civics untill 93 ... WRONG. i might have to take it back and fix the timing myself cuz of these jackasses. HELP on timing! line up the horizontal marks on the camshaft? i know how to do the lower part . :worthy:

14. Jim Truett

Jim Truett Senior Member

With #1 at TDC and the "UP" stamp on the cam gear in the up position, align the two lines on the cam gear with the valve cover gasket sealing surface on the head.

15. HondaMoCo

HondaMoCo Senior Member

the line on the back of the timing belt cover has two arrows, one says "p28" thats for the 1.6 liter, since the d15b is a 1.5 liter you have to line it up with the other arrows that say either "po8" or "po5".

16. Jim Truett

Jim Truett Senior Member

Yeah, you're right. It's been a while since I worked on mine. The marks that I have circled are the ones you need to align to.

[​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted