d15b vtec to 89 crx dx swap help desperately needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

regal1975

I realize now just how lost i am.. i cant get the search to run "89 dx d15b" or any combination so as a last resort i figured id better post. Thank you for any help.

Ive got an 89 crx dx that i just dropped a d15b vtec motor into but i am totally lost about thw wiring and which vacuum lines go where, etc... is there anywhere i can find a diagram or something to help me along?? I can do the wiring myself if i can find a diagram for the new motor.. it is a jdm motor that i believe is supposed to be a 95 civic ex motor...

thank you greatly!

Quoted post[/post]]
I realize now just how lost i am.. i cant get the search to run "89 dx d15b" or any combination so as a last resort i figured id better post. Thank you for any help.

Ive got an 89 crx dx that i just dropped a d15b vtec motor into but i am totally lost about thw wiring and which vacuum lines go where, etc... is there anywhere i can find a diagram or something to help me along?? I can do the wiring myself if i can find a diagram for the new motor.. it is a jdm motor that i believe is supposed to be a 95 civic ex motor...

thank you greatly!
wiring and vacuum are the same as doing a D16Z6 into your 89 DX

http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/sohcvtec.html

you realize that motor is OBD1 and your car is OBD0 right? youll need to do an OBD0-OBD1 conversion to run it.

Quoted post[/post]]
you realize that motor is OBD1 and your car is OBD0 right? youll need to do an OBD0-OBD1 conversion to run it.

conversion??

ive got the resistor box to make it mpfi...

i do have to pass emissions in my state as well...

what else is needed?? i think i need a vtec controller as well dont i??

thank you guys so much, im glad i finally found a forum that has some help to offer and is willing to share.. :)

Also, i have a ZC distributor and the stock DX distributor.. both fit, but neither will allow all 3 bolts to fit.. they both only fit 2 bolts.. will these wirk if i can secure them well enough?? or do i have to shell out countless more dollars to get a new one?? im really not going for huge performance on this swap, really just a motor that will fit as my old one died on me.. i already bought a whole motor and got screwed around on it, then bought this one.... so im very tight on money

thanks again!

:cry: Hate to rain on ur parade,but isn't the D15b a JDM mtr?So isn't NOT legal inCalifornia?
regal1975
it is a jdm motor that i believe is supposed to be a 95 civic ex motor...
Isn't the '95 EX mtr a D16z6?which is legal.

Which motor do you have? :dry:

Dx dizzy will work.U need 2 slot the hole & use a washer.Will work w/2 bolts too.Don't quote me,but I did hear a guy swap the DX parts into the Z6 dizzy.

Quoted post[/post]]
:cry: Hate to rain on ur parade,but isn't the D15b a JDM mtr?So isn't NOT legal inCalifornia?
regal1975
it is a jdm motor that i believe is supposed to be a 95 civic ex motor...
Isn't the '95 EX mtr a D16z6?which is legal.

Which motor do you have? :dry:

Dx dizzy will work.U need 2 slot the hole & use a washer.Will work w/2 bolts too.Don't quote me,but I did hear a guy swap the DX parts into the Z6 dizzy.

thanks, i managed to get the distributor in.. took me about 3 hours to figure out that it is keyed... sooo.. i spun it 180 deg and it dropped right in.. had to open up one hole a hair, but after that, 2 bolts are in solidly...

a couple other questions...

MAP sensor on a dx???? I spoke to a friend who looked up the diagram and it lists one.. my new motor has one, but i dont know if it is needed...I cant find the wire colors listed for it anywhere in the main engine harnesses and i couldnt find one on the old intake...

Tandem Valve Control Solenoid ??? ive found it on the old intake and located the plug for it.. on the old intake there were 2 butterfly's in the throttle body.. dont understand this one, so im guessing i can just not use this plug since i cant find anywhere on the new motor to connect it anyways..

And it is a JDM motor, its a d15b according to the block, vtec.. all the writing on it is in japanese and i got it through an importer.. But i live in GA and so long as it passes a smog check in the tail-pipe for the car with any of the available engines ill be fine..

otherwise, swap is kicking along, thanks for the help guys!

Also i just read this

"TPS and EACV plugs are too short and must be extended. Be sure to switch green/white and yellow/white wires on TPS since the dx turns the opposite way."

my tps i extended and connected using the tps off of the DX intake.. is this true?? it looked to me like it would only twist one way.. and it twists the same way on the new motor.... ???

Back