D15B vtec with p28 pistons??/?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey guys i am tearing down my motor to put new rings and bearings in it and i have a set of p28pistons laying around and i was wanting to know if there would be enough clearance for them cause i know the compression height on them are higher that the stock p08 pistons.......
current setup.....
stock worn out D15B JDM VTEC motor.... the 130 hp version with single stage VTEC
fidanza flywheel
spec stage 3 6 puck clutch
crower stage 2 cam
zex valve springs
dynatech header
innovative wideband
2.5 inch exhaust
crome pro
aem intake

I also tested it on a comp calculator and came up with this....
ZealAutowerks - Honda Compression Calculator

help me shed some light on this.... also does this motor have p28 rods in it? And would i be able to get away with a 50 shot of nitrous down the road with this compession in a d-series.... and of coarse it will be tuned for what ever i do to it. And last thing is would a d16y8 cam gear fix my timing issue on this motor cause i am using a d16z6 crower cam and cam gear and it looks to be off about 5 degrees or so......

Thanks for alll the help guys...

Hopefully the D-series man could help out here..... Blanco

Last edited:
I don't know what the dimensional specs are exactly, but if this is the engine I'm thinking of (D16 block, short stroke D15 crank, long rods) you'll have to punch in a custom rod length. They should be 5.5mm longer than the D16 rods.

evokilla, P28 and P08 are much more than just ECUs.

The JDM D15B VTEC blocks are actually like Z1 blocks; regular D15 blocks but with D16 rods and shorter pistons.

The D16 pistons, including the P28 pistons, are probably going to stick out too much and cause interference issues. And yes, even though the D15B rod has a unique part number, it's essentially the same as the D16 rods(137mm length).

Single stage VTEC, because 96-00 D15B VTEC's were availabe in dual-VTEC(3-stage VTEC) variants.

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys..... so what pistons could i run in there without interference while giving me a compression bump to fully take effect of my cam?

lol... custom would be sweet :rolleyes: but i am looking for something more bugeted in mind like oem used parts where i could get them pretty cheap... lol if i had the money i would have a set of custom pistons and stuff .... but can't afford it :(... if custom is the only way to go then i guess i will leave the stockers in there

D17 GX pistons; they should be on Zealautowerks also(PMS pistons). Compression increases to roughly 10.8:1. Mill or deck the head for even more compression. :)

hmmm interesting.... i think i might have to look into those... another question about them... do you have to machine the bushing in the rod to fit the pin or are thin piston pins the same size.... thanks for all the help guys

D17 GX pistons use regular 19mm PE bores; same as all other D-series.

Only one different it the D16 GX pistons(98-01 IIRC), which are 21mm PE's which is the same as B-series.

thanks for the help.... it seems like it is going to be a challenge to find a set of those pistons without going to the dealer.... Do you guys know anyplace that sell them? i have checked ebay and craigs list and nothing...

he said zealautoworks.com

by the way evokiller...you have much to learn in the way of the honda young grasshopper. You have come to the right place to acquire this knowledge however you should do research before hindering someone else's quest for knowledge.

Last edited:
i think he was reffering to them being on their compression calculator.... but i will take another look there and see what i can find... thanks for the help

Back