D15B W/LSD axle question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nhgarcia

Swapping a D15B with an LSD hydro tranny into a 91 sedan. I have been looking for a while to see what axles I will need. Some say 90-93 teg, some say stock, some say hybrid, I'm confused. I am pretty sure that you can't just use the stock axles but I can;t find a straight answer here or on hondatech. Surely someone has done this and knows....

I am planning on using the hasport kit for hydro conversion unless someone has a better idea.

Also need a P28 ECU in case anyone wants to get rid of one...just PM me. Gonna post in the sale section fro that.

I read that because of LSD you want equal length axles and that is the reason for 3 pc teg axles with intermediate shaft and 2 axles that are the same size...is that not right?

You don't need equal length axles. A lot of LSD'd D-series on the road right now, including race cars, with LSD, are using un-equal length axles. I've actually asked about the necessity of equal length axles and especially with a LSD, it's not needed.

The only stock D-series axles that would work is the ZC axles, which are hard to find.

Yes, the ZC axles are 3 piece.

Just wondering, do you have the axles that came with the motor? I have a D15B VTEC, but it does not have the bolt holes for the intermediate shaft...no D15s I've seen have them.

So is there a way to use the ZC axles without that bracket then?

No I don't. I have not commited to buying the swap yet until I get the axle thing figured out but it comes with everything except the axles.

You don't need equal length axles. A lot of LSD'd D-series on the road right now, including race cars, with LSD, are using un-equal length axles. I've actually asked about the necessity of equal length axles and especially with a LSD, it's not needed.

The only stock D-series axles that would work is the ZC axles, which are hard to find.

you sir are incorrect the jdm jc trans has b series splines in the diff and just uses a shorter half shaft

you need to use oem d series axles or some thing like driveshaft shop axles or some thing if you are worried about the stockers breaking

you sir are incorrect the jdm jc trans has b series splines in the diff and just uses a shorter half shaft

You sir, do not know what you are talking about. :p

I have a DOHC ZC transmission. It uses equal length axles. Hint; I'm not using equal length axles. ;)
Nor, can I use them without modifying my engine block(I have a JDM D15B VTEC). Also, the D15B is not a ZC.

There are ways around the equal-length axle issue.

Last edited:
So, which axles do I need?

Well, I don't know if you realize that the hydro LSD transmission does not readily work in a 91 Civic(I'm assuming it's manual also, though most of the LSD D15B transmissions are auto).

But anyways, to make it work with the unequal length axles; just pop of the driver's side inner CV joint and swap a B-series one on there.

Honestly, what I would recommend is just skipping the OE LSD transmission and run a Si transmission. Later on, just upgrade to an aftermarket LSD like the MFactory unit.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention nor do I know; does the JDM D15B transmission even use equal length axles? If not, your stock axles would work fine.

Wow, you're the second person to say that. I was planning to change from cable to hydro. So there is only one thing I don't understand then. What axles come stock on the JDM VTI? I assume they use the correct type with equal length shafts.

I want to say that's impossible because every JDM D15B I've seen do not have the bolt holes for an intermediate shaft like the D16s. I'm actually trying to find pics of "complete swaps" to verify this. The local motor shop here is currently closed so I can't call them to verify until tomorrow.

Well if you could PLEASE verify with your engine shop that would be awesome. There are no places like that near me. Just crappy junkyards with old fords and chevys.

Kevin you are verry wrong and i will post pics to prove it
ill post pics up tomorrow of the dohc zc trans and intermideate shaft and D and B series axles and what fits and what dosent then you can go tell the person that screwed you to give you your money back because they didnt sell you a dohc zc trans because if they had you would have to run B series axles

Back