D15B W/LSD axle question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wow dude. Let me reiterate; THERE'S WAYS AROUND THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT.

You want to know what I did? No? Yes? I'll tell you anyway; I swapped the differential for a Si one from a 92-95 EX along with a 4.25 FD from a CRX Si. Voila, stock axles FIT. I've actually pulled out my DOHC ZC transmission already(It's getting a GearX 1st gear, ZXi FD, and in a couple of weeks, a MFactory LSD) and will count the gears for you. If you want me to explain why I chose a 92-95 differential, I'll explain that too; the 88-91 are notorious for diff pin issues(literally ground off/breaking). The 92 and up do not have this issue. In addition to that, the 92-95 Si/EX differentials readily fit as they use the same 40mm bearings.

FYI, many of the aftermarket LSD's work only with the unequal-length axles(I think Mugen is the exception). Anyways; that was my plan from the get-go so I never even considered using an intermediate shaft.

Another way around it, as described already, is to swap the B-series CV joint. This is what I suggest as it retains the LSD he wants.

In addition to what has already been stated; the D15 has no way to mount the intermediate shaft unlike the D16s. So, even if he did get the intermediate shaft, he would have just wasted money money on it or would have had to spend more to fabricate a way to mount it(pretty much welding aluminum to the block, drilling, and tapping).

Also, if you want, I can track down the guy I sold the DOHC ZC differential to, and see what he has to say about it.

Last edited:
I found a guy on Oklahomaspeed that has that setup on an EG hatch. He said stock D series axles is what he runs and they are the only axle that will work on the OE D15 Vtec and LSD tranny setup. Shit I didn't realize this was going to be a mess trying to find out.

His response...

Re: Civic with D15B Vtec and LSD tranny
yeah for sure bro. ive kept the car any how. stock axles worked just fine on my stock lsd. just stock d series axles. the zc axles wont work because there even length axles. if you have any more questions let me know sir.

I found a guy on Oklahomaspeed that has that setup on an EG hatch. He said stock D series axles is what he runs and they are the only axle that will work on the OE D15 Vtec and LSD tranny setup. Shit I didn't realize this was going to be a mess trying to find out.

I guess that's good news!

D16s have to be tapped for the intermediate shaft while D15s don't have it at all(of the D15s I absolutely know does not have it: D15B1, D15B2. D15B7. D15B8, and JDM D15B VTEC).

Ok kevin you didnt state that you had a hybrid trans and in the case of you switching the diff yes then the axles from a d would work. But in stock forum the d axles will not work in a zc trans. Since you didnt state that you switched the diff and and said you were runing D axles that is very misleading.

I also didn't say stock d-series axles would work in a ZC transmission either(except for stock ZC axles); I just stated you don't have to go that route..

make it easy just use a zc intermediate shaft with 90-93 integra axles. but again how to mount it lol

Yeah, good news....I will order the swap today and will update the thread when I get it done to be sure. Thanks for the input.

Back