d15b w/stage 3 vtec swap into 98 EK dx coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lil los

Hi every1...Im new to honda swaps. I bought a D15b obd2 vtec engine with a auto ECU. Im not planning on changing my tranny cause the car is my wife's. Im just wondering what do i need to do to make the vtec work and is there any modifications i have to make when swapping out my old d16y7 to my new d15b??? Plz help me out..thx

45 views and no 1 can help me out..........Ive bin doin all the research i can for this but i will still like some info from ppl who've done these swapa b4...Comon ppl plz help me out!!!

Never done this swap, but Motor bolts right in, I'm sure that you alrady know that.

You should only have to run wires for the VTEC and VTEC oil press, to make sure VTEC will works. Is the ECU a JDM or USDM?

As far as the rest of the wiring I dont know, you should really model you harness after an automatic EX civic (D16Y8). when i comes to 02 sesnsor

Last edited:
thank you sir...yea ive bin told the engine will bolt right up and the ECU i have is a jdm one i believe..I bought the motor and auto ECU from jdm engine depot. They told me everythn should go into place except they didnt tell me i needed a engine harness for the vtec to work..the one thats on the motor has bin cut..ppl bin telln me i needed a 96-98 ex harness and others said the harness for the d16z6 would also work great...I got and research alot of good info but i would like more opinions from others who helpd or did these swaps....I sure appresiate ur info Domi31 thx man il take it into consideration!!

thank you sir...yea ive bin told the engine will bolt right up and the ECU i have is a jdm one i believe..I bought the motor and auto ECU from jdm engine depot. They told me everythn should go into place except they didnt tell me i needed a engine harness for the vtec to work..the one thats on the motor has bin cut..ppl bin telln me i needed a 96-98 ex harness and others said the harness for the d16z6 would also work great...I got and research alot of good info but i would like more opinions from others who helpd or did these swaps....I sure appresiate ur info Domi31 thx man il take it into consideration!!

Sorry cant be any more help, but dont use the d16z6 (1992-1995 civics) harness becuase it is a two piece harness, your harness is a one piece, So if you plan on switching a harness you should look for 96-98 auto EX Civics.

The reason I asked about the ECU being JDM or USDM, is that JDM motors dont have a CKF sensor and if using a OBD-II USDM ECU it would throw a Check Engine Light.

You have to add wires to get the VTEC to work, if you plan on using this harness.
To me all you have to do is Run wires for VTEC(A8) and VTEC Oil Press (C15) from the ECU to the proper sensors on the motor.
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98.jpg (this link also has info about having to changing your IVAC 3 wire sensor to a 2 wire sensor, because you have a non-vtec A/T, and installing your installing a VTEC motor, but I dont know what an Auto-VTEC ECU looks for.)

I would go to a junkyard and depin some wires from a ECU harness and the just run your own wires to the proper points on your ECU to the sensors on the motor, here is a link showing the depining process.
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/obd1.pin_removal.jpg

Last edited:
Hey thx for the info man sure appreciate it...Looks like ima b returning the motor bak and jus get the non-v instead cause its too much for me to do right now which i dnt have the time for..And at that i was told i was basically screwed with this motor cause i would need to convert my car stick, ex vtec harness, n get the rare hard to find ECU in order for the motor to work properly....I appreciate all the info u gave hopefully in the near future il do this swap wit the right car...and this is wifey's car..Lol..Thx Domi31 i appreciate the info you gave jus kno this aint all a waste some1 here will b lookn for the same info...

Guess im not return the motor at all cause they tryna charge me to restock it which they didnt tell me in the beginning....SO ima look more into what youve said n go thru wit the swapp....if there is any1 else wit more info plz help me out...Domi31 thx once again n if you do find a lil more jus lmk man.

Try to get a 96-98 HX auto harness as it has plugs that are similar to the D15. All you would have to do is wire up the 2nd VTEC solenoid. Worst comes to worst you can just swap the Y7 head on the D15 block. You'd essentially have a newer motor without all of the wiring issues.

Hey... all right man thx for the info sounds good...Il keep wat u said about the worst comes to worst part....This is useful info so ima go and find the 96-98 hx harness then since u are direct on which harness i should get..thx man...

jus did the swap...very happy how it turned out...Does any1 kno where i can find a AUTO Ex Vtec Ecu??? IF not can i jus run a wire to my stock ecu cause that is what a member from another site told me i can do its up to me tho...Also does ne1 kno where i can get a stock intake for my motor??

Back