D15B2 Head / Cam Advice Needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eddie37

what head and cam would be best on a d15b2 block with .020 over pistons, normally aspirated, without going vtec?

you can get lots of sfter market cams and stuff for them, skys the limit

D15B2 and D16A6 are the same heads minus the cam, the Si (A6) has a more aggressive cam.

It won't be noticable though, I wouldn't pay much for it.

Do a MPFI swap, thats where the power begins...

what are the casting marks to identify the d16a6 head? will i have cam timing problems using the d16a6 head and cam while keeping everything else from the d15b2 ?

Both heads are "PM3" castings IIRC while some D15s have PM8 codes. Really, the only head that would be similar is the D15B6 head but that has a smaller intake manifold.

He was referring to swapping the complete head; it will still be a "D15B2" so to say.

With the D16A6 Si cam in your D15, you need a 96-00 D16Y cam gear to correct the cam timing.

Last edited:
thanks all for your help. i just want confirm that i got this right:
d16a6 Si head and cam on my d15b2 bottom end.
i am going to use my d15b2 intake manifold, and stock ecu.
i need a d16y cam gear from 96-00 to get cam timing right

please confirm that this package will work. thanks.

Ditch the DPFI system and just do the MPFI conversion along with the cam and stock PM6(D16A6 Si) ECU.

i am not allowed to modify the intake and its too obvious, not that im trying to cheat or anything.

i have to use the dpfi. so does this work? or am i better off getting a hotter cam grind and sticking with a port and polish on the d15 b2 head?

Well, anything you do will be negated by the crappy DPFI intake and TBI injection. If anything, I'd look into ways you could replace that manifold with a custom unit or even swap in a carburetor.

i amstuck with that intake but i can do some porting to improve it. i'm only looking for a few hp - 10-15 maybe? i can get that can't i?

Back