d15b2 problems...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectDx

hey,

my 90 civic hb dx has an extremely low idle and there was lots of white smoke coming from the exhaust(due to coolant leak and a long drive). my friend and i removed the head, got it resurfaced and hot tanked. we replaced the head gasket and put everything back together then started it up. it began to idle at 2500rpm's and was shooting out white smoke. hands down, the best fog machine, in the world. we hoped that it was just burning excess coolant/water so we let it run for 2-3 mins, but it filled the garage with white smoke so we shut it off.

we ran a compression check. from left to right, the 1st cylinder was @170psi, 2nd@70psi, 3rd@140psi, and the 4th was at 160psi.

we removed the head again to check if we damaged the head gasket, it was fine. my friend checked the deck height on the block(or something). he put a straight edge across the block and used feeler gauges to check the clearance. the sleeves in the middle of the block were not within spec, the clearance was more than the maximum allowed.

it's strange though... could that small leak cause THAT much coolant/water to burn? and would that leak give such horrible compression results? what could have caused the high idle? haha, i just want to throw that engine away, anyone near MN wanna sell me a d15b2 or similar engine?

thanks.

2nd@70psi

that seems to be your problem, most likely worn rings.
the white smoke could be burning oil.

fast idle can be caused by a few things...

one would be that the cars electronics knows something is wrong so its bumping it up... or you could have a leak somewhere in your intake system leading to it idling high...

i think the 70 psi has a lot to do with your problems
lol

Back