D15B2 spewing coolant - missing part?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kdinger

I have a 1991 Civic DX with a D15B2 engine. I took it to a shop to have the passenger side axle assembly replaced (previous owner had driven it with a torn CV boot for some time) and the valves adjusted. After 20 or 25 miles of driving after I got it back, I noticed some smoke/steam coming from under the hood. Upon looking in the engine compartment, the steam was from coolant being sprayed onto various hot parts of the engine. It was everywhere, but seemed to be coming for near the distributor. Looking closer around the distributor, I saw a fitting on the head that looked like it was supposed to have something bolted to it, and I assumed this is where the coolant was coming from. This fitting was on the side of the head facing the rear of the car, near the right rear corner of the head (by rear, I again mean rear of the car - I get a bit confused by transversely mounted engines). But in looking in the one manual I have (Haynes) and online exploded diagrams, I can't seem to find what might bolt on to this fitting and I can't seem to find any loose hoses that might attach to whatever might bolt to this fitting, so now I'm not so sure that the coolant was coming from there. I'm attempting to attach some pictures. If it works, the first one is an orientation shot - the fitting in question is hidden from view, but roughly where the red arrow is pointing. The other three are shots of the fitting from various angles.

Does anyone know if something is supposed to be bolted to this fitting? And if so, is it part of the cooling system; could my coolant be coming from there? Is it something the shop could have messed with or accidentally damaged while adjusting the valves?

Thanks, Keith

Attachments

• P8040005.jpg
    P8040005.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 7,799
  • P8040001.jpg
    P8040001.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 601
  • P8040002.jpg
    P8040002.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 709
  • P8040004.jpg
    P8040004.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 669
your lower radiator hose should go to an angled fitting there.

you're missing the upper thermostat cover, and thermostat.

TurboMirage said:

Thanks!

I guess I'm confused about where my lower radiator hose, thermostat, and housing are right now. Maybe the housing and the hose are flopping around in the lower part of the engine compartment; I guess I need to look to see if one end is still attached to the radiator. I'm confused by the exploded diagram at the following URL:

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/schonda/jsp/catimgs/13sh40_e02.gif

You can clearly see the flange/fitting I'm talking about in the upper right diagram (with nothing attached). But I don't see how the stuff in the lower right diagram (thermostat case and cover) relates to the empty fitting I have. Do I need both the thermostat case and cover (part 7 and 5)? Does the case (part 7) bolt to the fitting I'm seeing? If so, it seems like I should have a total of 3 loose hoses.

-Keith

kdinger said:
Thanks!

I guess I'm confused about where my lower radiator hose, thermostat, and housing are right now. Maybe the housing and the hose are flopping around in the lower part of the engine compartment; I guess I need to look to see if one end is still attached to the radiator. I'm confused by the exploded diagram at the following URL:

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/schonda/jsp/catimgs/13sh40_e02.gif

You can clearly see the flange/fitting I'm talking about in the upper right diagram (with nothing attached). But I don't see how the stuff in the lower right diagram (thermostat case and cover) relates to the empty fitting I have. Do I need both the thermostat case and cover (part 7 and 5)? Does the case (part 7) bolt to the fitting I'm seeing? If so, it seems like I should have a total of 3 loose hoses.

-Keith

number 7 is where the lower radiator hose goes.

So it turns out that that empty fitting is not where the thermostat goes. In the third picture of my first post you can see the lower radiator hose going to the thermostat cover in the upper left part of the picture. I finally felt around inside the empty fitting and there is no opening into the head. So I still don't know what that empty fitting is, but I'm pretty sure now that it is not connected with the spraying coolant problem. We're on vacation now, so I'll have to wait till I get back to try to figure out where the coolant is coming from.

-Keith

Back