d15b3 to d16z6 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Balladedrvr

I currently have a d15b3 carbed engine in my 95 ballade/civic. I want to swap it for the d16z6 but before I buy the engine I want to be sure I can swap it without to much hassle or expensive parts. Which ecu would I need to get? Are there any major issues mechanical or electrical that I should be aware of?

I would appreciate any help or advise thanks.
Kevin

P28 ECU from a 92-95 Civic with the D16Z6 engine. I don't know what the trim level would be in your country.

You'll have to convert to multi-point fuel injection, which might be a problem if your current fuel system is set up for carburetion. You'll need a high pressure fuel pump and lines, rail, control hardware etc.

Good luck.

Thanks. The engine is a japanese import and comes the orginal throttle body manifold and injectors. Is it safe to order one of those oem ecu's of ebay? Sorry for the stupid question but what do you mean by trim level?

Ok the D16z6's are no longer available but I can get a d15b dohc anyone know anything about this engine?
Thanks again, Kevin.

Last edited:
You'll probably be fine with another OEM ECU off eBay. Just make sure the wiring in your car will match up to it. I don't know how yours is configured compared to ours in the US, but it's probably very close, and will require the same wiring changes to add VTEC wiring if you don't have it already.

By trim level, I'm talking about the DX/LX/EX/Si that we have in the US. The D16Z6 was in the EX model (and the del Sol Si) in the USA, but in Canada the Si model is the same as our EX model. In your country, wherever it is, the trim level that the D16Z6 was available in probably isn't called the "EX."

There's no such thing as a D15B DOHC. You're probably thinking of the D15B SOHC VTEC engine, which is basically the same as the D16Z6 but with the capability to rev higher and with a more aggressive cam profile- and about the same power output.

I went to check and they have the d15b sohc vtec, I guess the guy I spoke to on the phone was a little confused. Currently as far as I can tell there is no ecu just a plate were it should be. If this is in fact where it should be. Which ecu must I get for the d15b? Is it possible to buy the plug for the ecu and wire it from scratch? I am in South Africa BTW

Attachments

• Picture 098.jpg
    Picture 098.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,008
Last edited:
If you're carbureted you won't have an ECU- your engine most likely just runs off the carb and a distributor. There are no injectors, so there's no need to have a computer to control a fuel and ignition map- you run off vacuum in the carb, and spark controlled by engine speed.

You could definitely buy the stock ECU and wire it all from scratch- that's what you have to do to convert from carburetion to fuel injection anyway. There are a lot of sensors and wiring that you're going to have to add to your car.

Good luck.

Back