D15B6 to possible F22A1 swap help please.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zootel

I actually own a 1990 crx and I am looking at purchasing an accord for the engine. What I do know is that the engine in this accord is an H series motor and that it is a SOHC 4 cylinder. I believe that it is a 2.something liter engine. I am having trouble finding any information on this motor. Any information on how many different H series SOHC 4 cylinders came out in this car in the 90's would be greatly appreciated, or if you know what engine this is I am just looking for helpful information on doing this swap. I pretty much just would like to know if it is going to be worth the time and or trouble. :confused:

Also This is a 16 valve non-Vtec Pgm-fi engine.
Ok I found a picture that looks like the engine on Google, if it is the correct engine it is a F22A1 engine.

The questions I have are like, Is my header from the D15B6 going to fit this motor? What all wireing am I going to need for this swap? Is this swap going to make a big difference? Are my plugs and wires from the D15B6 going to fit the F22A1? Finally the big question, is my 5 speed manual tranny from my D15B6 going to fit this F22A1?

Like I had stated, ANY help awnsering these questions or direction to the help awnsering them would be GREATLY appreciated.

not worth the trouble and expense to swap the 125hp F22A1 into the CRX HF - nothing from the D15B6 will work - the transmission, axles, front knuckles/hubs would all need to be swapped - essentially, swapping the F22 is like swapping the H22 - here are instructions from Hasport (you would need mount kit) on what is involved in the H22 swap (F22 is similar):

http://hasport.com/tech/installs/efh1.pdf

this is a very difficult swap to perform - a lot of easier ways to get the same power for a whole lot less money and work

yes you could do the swap but i wouldn't bother even if the accord is free ,honestly you would be much better of with a d16 swap or a b16 swap , both are straight forward , loads of info , and you can keep things like power streering , ac , if you desire , and you car will be good for more than just drags

Not even if I get the entire Accord car?

Take a look at the instructions that were linked to. This isn't an easy swap. Your car is fairly light, and that motor is a lot bigger and heavier then what's currently in the bay. Installing it (along with the transmission) into your car will require fabrication and custom mounts, plus it will be a tight fit with not much room left under the hood. And no, your D15's header and plug wires will NOT work on the new motor.

For the 125 horse that motor produces it's not worth the effort. If you're going to go through all that work, at least get yourself an H22 or H23. Or hell, just get a D16Z6. It's a much easier swap and it makes 127 horses...

I have just been having problems finding honda parts near here, (I had to special order a distributor cap , rotor, plug wires, and plugs for this D15B6 the last time i gave it a tune up). My ideal Motor for this car would be a non-Vtec DOHC, but i just don't know what model of car to look for and i don't want to buy off of online because you really don't know what your getting. The reason i was considering this Accord engine is because the salvage yard like 300 yards from my house has 3 and i was possibly looking at swaping from subframe up, (not just the motor actually swaping everything).

But if all of you still say hell no then that will be my final awnser. :) but only because you guys know more then me on this :p I can turn a wrench and if i take it off i can usually put it back on, but i am no mechenic I have to pay others to do the really fun part of rebuilding the engine.

For the 125 horse that motor produces it's not worth the effort. If you're going to go through all that work, at least get yourself an H22 or H23. Or hell, just get a D16Z6. It's a much easier swap and it makes 127 horses...

What model of honda would have this engine? Is this engine a frount wheel drive motor? when it comes to this crap im pretty much a noob.

as far as swapping parts goes keep the parts from the same family b-serires to b-series and d to do and you can swap parts between a h series and a f series. As far as you question about the d16z6 the civics would come with that. If you are wanting a dohn non vtec car then you would have to look at a zc which the aftermarket does not like that much or a b serires like a b18b1 which came out of a integra for a couple of years but with eihter of these you will have to then swap out engines, tranny and do some wiring to get it all working along with going to hasport for a mount swap kit.

Ok I went and looked at the engine in the accord better and it is a F22A1. I also parked my crx next to the accord and compared the motors; I came to the conclusion that there is no way I want to get myself into the trouble (the F22A1 is like almost twice the size of the D15B6). I then went to a different local salvage yard (a larger one). After about 2 1/2 hours of digging around under hoods and through scrap piles, I found a D16Y8 in a civic. The only problem is they want $1,500.00 for the engine, tranny, and wire harness. They also had a 24 valve v6 in an Acura but there is no way in hell that it would fit in my crx. I was afraid to ask how much though because of how much they wanted for the D16Y8. So I am now back to a dead end.

I'm curious is it possible or even worth trying to put the d16y8 vtec head on my d15b6 engine? If d-series parts swap across couldn't I just drop the d16y8 on top of my tranny, wire it up and go with it? I understand that the vtec stuff would have to be properly wired, but it would be pretty simple compared to what I was previously looking at right?

Last edited:
Yes you can bolt up a d16y8 to your tranny. Just use the search tool in here to look that info up and there is a compatiblity chart around. As far as the wiring goes you can go to rywire.com they have conversion harness that will do all of the vtec configurations for you. You will also have to get the ecu out of that car with the d16y8 and a obd-0 to obd-1 conversion harness as well. Hope that helps. This site has tons of usefull info I just for the first time did a dpfi to mpfi swap and never asked a question I just searched and searched.

Well my wife had decided for me that I was not going to put any more money into my crx. So I guess here are my finished pics with the exception that I just put my hood back on after I took these pics.

IM001095.JPG
IM001095.JPGIM0IM001097.JPG01096.JPG

Attachments

• IM001095.JPG
    IM001095.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 563
  • IM001096.JPG
    IM001096.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 573
  • IM001097.JPG
    IM001097.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,474
ok I think I have her talked into letting me fix up this crx the way I want to.

I am buying this Accord with the F22A1 motor, I plan on swaping from the subframe up, but my question is what parts would I need that would not be on the accord? eg, Axles, Linkage, or Spedo cable....... I just want to make sure I get all of the nessery stuff before I start. I am buying my mount kit from hasport. I just don't know what else I would need.

Last edited:
Back