D15B7 / D16Y8 swap problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wizzkidd7188

I just completed a swap on my 94 civic dx, in which I replaced the D15b7 with a D16Y8. It was a total swap; I converted over to OBD1, (dizzy, injectors, alt) and the engine harness from the D15. It starts and runs but I have a few problems.
1) It runs hot (new thermostat). Checked the fuses and such but have yet to see the fans kick in.
2) I am still running the P06 ECU (is this the problem) I know I have to get a P28 to be able to operate the Vtec but I have yet to come across one (that works). Everything I find is for automatics.
3) Which throttle cable holder do I need to use, I am using the old D15 but causes my car to idle to high and I have to pull the pedal up with my foot?

Ok as you can tell I am new to this so I hope I posted this correctly and in the right place, most of all I hope someone can help me. :confused:

alright i'm kinda in the same boat as you are. i recently finished a B16A swap into my 93 dx so let's see if anything i tell you can help.
1. as for it running hot, it may just be the new thermostat. as long as the needle stays in the same area when you are driving, then it's probably ok. however, if it starts moving around and getting hotter, then yeah that might be a little bit of a problem. its kinda the same for me just only when i really step on the accelerator when i'm in 1st gear.
2. i would really recommend getting a P28 ecu. the mappings for certain things are a little bit off so that might cause a little bit of difference, not to mention you want the P28 for VTEC or there's no point in even really doing the swap. and have you checked ebay? there's guarenteed to be stuff on there or even check the marketplace here at hondaswap.
3.as for your throttle cable issue: i was able to find a new mount from innovative mounts that was made specifically for a B-series swap (Innovative Mounts Throttle Cable Bracket (for B-Series Swaps)). now as the swap that you are doing is really common, i'm sure there is someplace on the internet that you can find a throttle cable bracket that fits what you're trying to do.

i hope some of that stuff helped and let me know how it goes.

Thanks allot, it does help. I have gotten a p28 but now have other problems. The car was starting with the p06 but now it wont start with either ECU, think its the starter, will be pulling it tomorrow. Hopefully before the sun sits tomorrow I will be back on the road. I'm gona have to research the throttle cable info though, thanks...

I dont if it helps but i did the same swap into a 92 hatch. Check your temp sensor wire, When I did mine it got pluged into a sensor on the intake. I used the same intake manifold from the old motor so the cable worked. The p06 ecu works fine I used mine until the p28 arrived.

Check all your fuses before pulling the starter. Sometimes I have messed around in the engine bay after I found out it would not start and it was just simply a case that the starter solenoid wire was not connected.

Ok the problem was the starter replaced it today and now it starts every time with no problems. The other problem, it still runs hot, very quickly. I have already replaced the thermostat, and it has a new radiator. The top hose gets burning hot and when the car is shut off you can hear the water boiling, while the lower hose never changes temp, not even slightly warm. The Y8 does not have the little bleeder valve on the top hose inlet so I tried leaving the radiator cap off until the water started flowing but it never happen. What would cause this, I'm thinking the water pump, but I’m hoping that I’m wrong.

I now have a bleeder valve on the top hose connector, but that wasn't the problem.:( Although I have figured it out, and it was totally newbie error.;) I was being smart and I replaced all the hoses, well I crossed up the heater hose and the loop back hose so my water was never making it all the way through the engine.:rolleyes: I have that fixed and I am running. Now tomorrow I just have to finish wiring the VTEC.
Thanks everyone for all the help.

Back