D15B7 Del Sol problem(s)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LtWilliamT

I just got this 94 Del Sol from this kid down the road. He said when he bought it the engine was just replaced with one that had only 80K on it. He was sold it to me for $500 cause the timing was off and need to be fixed (didnt run :(.... Me and my friend last night did the timing belt and water pump. We linned up the crankpully, not one of the 3 lines, but the 1 off to the side to the case. We lined up the camshaft so it was level with the head, and tightened the belt. We put everythin back together and no start.
I remember the kid saying that he put in a new dizzy, so could that be the problem? I also have been reading about an ignition timing, whats that? Could that be the problem? I need help cause i need to fix it soon, or my parents are gonna make me sell it!

Well I would check the dizzy, ask if u can barrow 1 from someone elts, also how are the plugs and wires, do u get any spark at all? or just turn the key and nothing, cause that could be a lose batt conection, bad bat, need a few more details other then u did the timing and it dont start lol... I can help as much as possiable...

I have no clue if the fireing is correct, i know the wires from the dizzy to the sparks are correct..... I took his word on the new engine and dizzy.....I know the battery is crap, but i was using another car to jump it. It grinds like it wants to start, it gives what sounds to be like 3 fires then it stops/bogs down. The plugs are newer along with the sparks. I regapped the plugs and cleaned them......still nothing

I would say the kid scrwed ya firing order up.... Basicly you want to get a hanyes manual or look up the firing order for ya modle engine, there are diagrams on here somewere im to lazy to find them... just replug them and see if that helps... if not I would then move onto other possiable problems

If the timing was off there is a large possibility you have done some damage to the internals of the head.
If the timing is not right its possible that your piston has hit the valve and bent it.
You should do a compression test. don't know the specs of the top of my head but haynes manual for your car should have it.
You need a manual before starting any work .... IMO

If the timing was off there is a large possibility you have done some damage to the internals of the head.
If the timing is not right its possible that your piston has hit the valve and bent it.
You should do a compression test. don't know the specs of the top of my head but haynes manual for your car should have it.
You need a manual before starting any work .... IMO

Would agre with the manual, but he has limited time, so trouble shooting this is needed quickly other wise his rents make him sell it:(

ok, i got a Chiltons manual from the library, and if im reading the diagram correct, the kid screwed up the order. I changed it to the one in the book and its firing like its about to catch and run, but its just not starting......its soo close

are the spark plugs dry? is there fuel? another place to look

Yes this must be true, means the motor is getting fuel....by chance are any of the seansors up by the intake mani messed up un pluged? also check the ECU, make sure its the right ECU for that motor... :)

Back