D15B7 swap to D16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GNDxero

My 4dr Civic lx D15B7 engine is tired at 220k, seems to be losing oil / smokin' a small amount. regardless, not interested in fixing it, rather just swap something else in. I'm not looking to buy tires every month with a 250hp motor, I just want something else with a little more power than 103 hp. Found a guy selling a D16z6 Vtec, he's asking 300, but I could probably talk him down. From what I'm hearing on these forums, most of the time these motors either bolt right in, or you have to use a combonation of motors mounts from donor and stock motor mounts. Also, this new engine is VTEC so i would have to grab a new ECU, and wire that in...somehow. also i've worked on cars for 15 years.

you don't seem like you are asking a question, but if you want to know if it just bolts in then yes everything is a direct bolt on the only thing you will need to do is wire up the vtec solenoid/ possibly chip your old ecu unless you can find a p28 ecu from a junk yard

To clarify the question(s)

I guess you're right, i wasn't really clear.
Will everything bolt up by using the stock motor mounts in my civic.
What is the easiest way to "add" vtec to my car? (sounds like finding an ECU from a junkyard)
Is $300 for that engine a decent price? (says it runs fine, 153k)

another question

Another question would be.
On a motor with 153k, and being that I'll have the engine out of the car. Should I rebuild it before putting it in?

yes it does bolt up directly, the easiest way to add vtec to your car would be to get a engine that has a vtec head and then add the wires that you need to wire vtec.

I'd rebuild it, Preventitive maintance should be #1 priority before making your car 'fast' or modding it, because just freshing up the motor can get some more juice.

Rebuilding it

perhaps this is a different thread now, but as far as rebuilding it, what would you suggest for highest reliability and longevity, and low cost? I am not interested in speed, not going to put a turbo on this car.
My thought is. Crank bearings, rings, seals, gaskets, hone (not bore) cylinders, valve lapping, and adjustment, timing belt, water pump.

What do you guys think? What am I missing? Where can I get it?

Ummm.... Honestly so long as the crank rotates freely, and the pistons look good with the head off with 150K *And a compression test checks out on it I wouldn't worry too much about the bottom end, In a honda most the power is from the head, and the bottom ends will last a long-ass time if you don't plan on modding the piss out of it.

i wouldnt even go that far. look under the valve cover, if its not sludged and nasty, i'd leave it be. You really dont need a P28 unless you are gonna run VTEC. If you do, then grab a P28 and add the few wires it needs. Not sure if your 02 sensor if a 4 wire or 1 wire. If its not a 4 wire, you need to get one from a EX if you plan to use the P28. All parts can be bought at your common auto parts stores, as well as through the dealer (for a little more $$$). Wiring is stupid easy, you can do that yourself with some scematics and extra wire/harnesses.

well am a newbie and i need help on were the wires to the vtec go. i got the p28 and am runnung the d15b7 harness.

Back