d15b8 question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rogue420

i'm new to hondas so bear with me. i just bought a 95 cx. what's the differance between the dx and cx motor? why does the dx motor have 30 more horse? is this an ecu issue? if so, can i just swap out the ECUs. i just bought a cold air intake and cat-back and am looking for a cheap upgrade until i can do swap of some kind. please advise.

The Cx was designed to be economical not a sports car, the dx was the base model and again not a sports car. No matter what other engine you put in there you will feel the difference

IMO cold air intakes are a waste of money unless you like paying $150 for a growling noise. A cat back is good but not in your situation. The best thing you can do is swap in any of the DOHC motors, b16, b18b1, b18c1. I say save your money until you have enough for a swap then think of increasing hp. BTW the only ugrades for a cx is a motor swap.

i understand that the swap to any other motor would be alot better but i'm a collage student and dont get my next loan dispursement until january. i figure the intake and exhaust are gimmies on any engine so i bought those first to get it out of the way. i was just wondering if the 30hp difference between the dx and cx were different ECUs and if so i could pick one up from a junk yard or off of ebay or something for pretty cheap, like 50 bucks or so. and if thats the only difference then 50 bucks for 30hp at the crank is worth it is'nt it?
get back
lol

30hp difference?

I am currently working on my d15b engine so I may be able to help you on this one.

I suspect your engine head has only 8 valves as opposed to 16 valves. ECU change will not probably work. I would also think that it is running on the more efficient multi-point fuel injection with four injectors right?

If yes, what you could do is relatively simple, the cheapest method is just swap to a 16-valve d-series non-vtec head, it is dirt cheap on ebay if you can find one. There are no wiring changes and your CAI benefits would be maximised.

Just do a check at your passenger foot well and tell me the the ecu serial, it should be something like this 38720-P???-????. Then I may be able to recommend a more effective ecu to up your horses.

Below is the list of cheap d-series heads avail on ebay, copy and paste the links to take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2437833170

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2439216798

its not the ecu its the motor and if i was you save your money for the swap and buy all the bolt on afterwords youll be much happier

yeah it's definitely the motor setup, '92-'95 cx's are the 8 valve head. Same gen dx/lx have 16 valves and all '96+ civic engines were 16 valve (cx included). The '96+ cx/dx are the same motor so if you can find a head cheap either one will bolt right on.
Unfortunately there's more to it than that tho- the intake/throttle body/ecu/etc and entire exhaust system are different.
There are all kinds of people around trying to ditch stock d-series parts, hell even my gf has a '93 cx motor with a chucked rod for parts and a '96 cx/dx motor (think she already has that one sold tho... <_<

I always thought all d-series non-vtec engines share the same intake manifold and 4-1 exhaust headers with similar port c/c spacing. (Only displacement or more so for SOHC or DOHC configs affects the above) JDM or even USM engineering economises, standardise all parts to simplify logistics, lower production costs and machine/space inventory. The only thing that would be different would be the ecu. Your d15b8 is high on fuel economy. The fuel timing curve would be different from the 16-valve d15b7 you would aspire to have. Therefore I need to know what type of ecu you are using.

BTW I live in Asia about 13-time hours from the west coast, even if I were to sell you my wares the shipping costs is at least same if not more than the item cost itself. Buying from ebay you can at least acquire some legal buyer protection and at least obtain goods of merchantable quality. Its may also better to buy from the guys here, provided they live in or near your neighbourhood and can approach them personally for help if there are any problems with the item or setup. There are also several things to check for when buying engine heads. The camshaft/gear, valves, valve springs/guides, tippets etc.

If these are okay, you will probably need d-series intake/exhaust gaskets which are cheap, new head gasket and valve cover gasket, I would recommend the spark plug chambers 4 o-ring gaskets be changed at the same time to prevent oil leakage.

Back