d15b8 to d16y8 swap help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

merjii

Hello Everyone.

I am new to Honda swaps, but have had a number of different hatchbacks over the years. I am currently working on swapping a d16y8 into my d15b8 1992 CX hatch. I searched (and read) the forums for a while tonight looking for info. I have determined that I can use either trans, will have to wire up the O2 sensor and VTEC solenoid, and I think I have to switch the internals of my alternator into the d16 alternator housing.

I also read up on the OBD stuff, and have discovered a problem. The d15b8 has the P05 OBDI computer, as it should, but the d16y8 has a P28 computer. I read that it should be OBDII, but I am not sure which one. The d16 runs fine, so I am not sure if I have to do anything with fuel injectors etc.

I am not looking to build a drag car or anything like that. My d15 is toast, and the entire d16 car (1998 hatch) fell into my lap. I would just stick with the 1998 hatch, but it has been wrecked, and the subframe is bent.

I found a lot of info about swapping the d16 head onto my d15b8 block, but nothing definitive about the swap I want to do. Can anyone tell me what components I should use from which engine? Thanks for the help in advance.

Back