d15b8 vtec please help me out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

delsol_racer

ok so i got a d15b8 from my friend motor and tranny 200 bucks cuz be put a b18 turbo in hit hatch its a 93 hatch and i have a 95 del sol s i was wondering if tha d15 is vtec i dont think it is but i can get it to run right
im using tha 95 intake mainfold on tha 93 motor everything fit expect a wter hose i dont think its a big deal cuz tha car dosent over heat at all so i that hose isnot a prolbem but what is
tha car blows out a lot of blue smoke for tha frist 50 miles then its calming down one thing is that it dosent want to get up and go like tha 95 motor it like wants to take its sweet time and it like redlines at 5500 rpm i dont think thats right i do have a check engine light on and when i pull tha code ir blinks 9 times which is tha cylinder position sensor and i put a ohm meter on tha sensor and it reads that its fine so im going crazy do i need to change ecus? or is it vtec but i didnt see tha vtec switch on tha intake mainfold
also on tha rpm meter when i step on tha gas it like bounces back and fourth like its not sure what tha rpms are and its not cuz tha car bounces cuz im not moving when its doing that so if u have ne ideas please letme know thank you

Twitch

holy shit man... use a period sometimes... wow. but yeah you( i believe ) have the vtec d15. the way to find out is to look for the vtec solenoid. it'll be on the passenger side of the engine bay up twards the firewall. as for the erratic idle... not too sure. what mods have you done to the intake.

i havent done ne thing to the intake just a cold air intake.
shit so on my del sol its a non vtec and i though tha vtec switch was on tha intake mainfold? am i worng i have never ran a vtec car of my own so im not sure i have an idea on tha wiring for tha vtec.
so if it was vtec would it not rev higher than 5500 rpms? this cars is driving me crazy i just want it to run right thank you

and other ideas would help too

thanks

peace.....

D15B8
1493cc
hp:70@4500
tq:83@3000
9.1:1 compression
75 bore
84.5 stroke
sohc
non vtec
obd1
engine comes in:
1992-1995 Civic CX

here's you're engine specs... no it doesn't have vtec. and if it did it would rev higher. the principle of vtec is to let in more air and fuel when the original set of lobes on the cam basically have hit a dead end in letting in more air and fuel. this is where the cam jumps to a higher lobe and thus lets in more fuel and more air. i can't remeber if it is a long duration lobe or just a high lift lobe but... oh fuck it..yeah, the cold air intake...did you place the IAT sensor in the tube or is it just hanging out? that will cause erratic idle. i'm slightly confused on what you mean though. does it go up and down while idiling? does it do it while it's in gear?

the other question, the one about the blue smoke... blue smoke indicates burning oil. the CEL is on because there is a problem, it's not the ecu that is messed up. go to the engine electrics part of this site and they can help you out there more than i can. they know their shit fo sho... but the blue smoke...i'm thinking if the valves are reset that will go away...try it.. maybe not... i'm not too sure on that either...it could be a number of things. bad rings, valves letting in oil, cracked head, any one of those and then some. but yeah if this helps let me know.

Last edited:
so ur tryna figure out if the cars vtec is working,buy the sounds of it its not now u say this is a d15b8 with vtec dats interesting check for the solenoid it looks like the pic on my thingy

D15B8
1493cc
hp:70@4500
tq:83@3000
9.1:1 compression
75 bore
84.5 stroke
sohc
non vtec
obd1
engine comes in:
1992-1995 Civic CX

here's you're engine specs... no it doesn't have vtec. and if it did it would rev higher. the principle of vtec is to let in more air and fuel when the original set of lobes on the cam basically have hit a dead end in letting in more air and fuel. this is where the cam jumps to a higher lobe and thus lets in more fuel and more air. i can't remeber if it is a long duration lobe or just a high lift lobe but... oh fuck it..yeah, the cold air intake...did you place the IAT sensor in the tube or is it just hanging out? that will cause erratic idle. i'm slightly confused on what you mean though. does it go up and down while idiling? does it do it while it's in gear?

the other question, the one about the blue smoke... blue smoke indicates burning oil. the CEL is on because there is a problem, it's not the ecu that is messed up. go to the engine electrics part of this site and they can help you out there more than i can. they know their shit fo sho... but the blue smoke...i'm thinking if the valves are reset that will go away...try it.. maybe not... i'm not too sure on that either...it could be a number of things. bad rings, valves letting in oil, cracked head, any one of those and then some. but yeah if this helps let me know.
like i said...it doesn't have the tec...

AIC sensor !!!! thats what it sounds like to me your set up is all wrong

i chnged tha intake mainfold and its running good and my friend said im not using tha right computer so im not sure im trying to get ahold of him to change it and see what happens do u think that would be tha prolbem
cuz it happended with my last motor thatys y i changed it i have new everything well out of a hatch and then its still doing that same shit

ok so i got tha ecu changed and tha check engine light went off and its still not revvin higher than 5500 rpms and im putting black smoke out i dont thinks thats normal im assuming my timmings off and thats y im putting out black smoke too much gas and not engouph fuel right?
ok but then why would i only get 5500 rpms?
any tips?
please help me out

that is the redline for that engine i believe. send the computer off to pherable.net they can raise the redline if you want it done. they can also put basemaps on it so you can muck with the a/f mix.

danm that motor sucks i have like no power compared to tha one that i ad be4 well what would make have a fucked up rpm thing.
like when im driving i can be doing 55 and tha engine is not revving up or down but the needle is going crazy
idk im about to buy a b20 with a b16 vtec head what you think bout that what all do i have to change?

D15B8 trouble please help

I have that same d15b8 motor in my del sol civic conversion.... It will only rev up if i ease into the throttle and it high revs at about 6000 too i think its a sensor but i am not sure can you please help im a noob to 90's hondas my last honda was an 86 carbureted crx so all this computer stuff is hard to figure out. someone please help.

Back