D15Z1 into 88 Civic HB STD

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VegasEFHB

OEM Enthusiast
I have recently killed my OEM block (D15B1, DPFI), and a VX motor fell into my lap at no cost. I know I need to do some work to my wire harness and get a different ECU, but that would be the extent of my knowlege of the D15Z1 Vtec-e motor. I am also more concerned with fuel economy rather than top end power, so please do not try and talk me into another swap that would produde more power in your opinion.

I am seeking information on what ECU I need to pursue using/acquiring in addition to what route I need to go with my wire harness. FYI, the transmission that came with the VX will also be discarded as I will simply use an 89 CRX Si transmission to keep the clutch cable operated.

If any of you know what ECU to use, what additional items I might need to make it work correctly that would be greatly appreciated.
(axles, throttle cable and intake/filter have already been thought of and accounted for)
Thanks guys!

your going to need to get a vtec ecu thats obd0. you could get a ecu to run the motor then wre your vtec upto a rpm switch. I have a pw0 that could be re-chipped to run any of the vtec motors. its somewhat hard to find the obd0 stuff for a good price.

I would grab the entire harness and ECU out of the HX EK (1997) and graft that much in . Which tranny are you planning on using ?

Don't get harassment here, man. I had a D15Z1 and was looking forward to using it. I feel I can do about the same with fewer moving parts by using a custom ground cam, SOHC VTEC (Z6) and a manual VTEC controller.

In my 91 STD Hatch (E6) ... you can do that, I'll do mine and we'll compare results.

You can even use the CVT transmission for extra fun (No shifter in the middle at all , if you wanted !)

Thanks fellas, for the replies.

In answer to your question of which transmission do I plan to use, I have an 89 DX 5spd sitting next to the motor right now that was recently pulled from a running vehicle (the guy did a GSR swap, so just gave it to me for $20).

Do you know how I can update my harness to run the motor successfully?

no...no...no... all you have to do is get a ecu to run the motor. your stock harness will work fine if you do the right mods to it. Im not 100% fluent in the STD modles wireing, all we had to do to get CRX hf was re weld mounts and drop the ecu in and wire my extra o2, vtec and my knock sensor. I personally think its easier to just run the wires you need. if you really wanna get into it you could snag yourself a HF or SI harness. Replace the dash harness with it and go from there. But in doing that you make more of a mess. there is a write up here that shows you how to re-wire you DP to MP. And if you want it easier i have that OBD0 b16 ecu i would give you for cheap

I have spoken to the guy I got the Z1 from, and he gave me the OEM P07 ECU. I need to convert the harness to MPFI then OBD1 to use it though. Not so sure if I should stay OBD0 or OBD1, it is a 50/50 debate on what is easier and what is more cost effective. So far OBD1 has the most votes due to

BTW... THe CRX HF was already MPFI stock (just had a POS motor in it, not much better than my OEM D15B1), the STD is DPFI, not plug and play, I learned that one the hard way before when I tried to upgrade the Intake Manifold to the D16A6 version.

i know the HF is mpfi. I had one there pretty much a stripped down SI. so that means you get a SI harness. I stayed OBD0 cause it was cheaper. IF you go OBD1 you will need a dizzy, injectors, and a conversion harness. so its really up to you. a used dizzy will run you about 150, injectors will run you anywhere from 100-300, and the conversion harness will run you about 150 if you get it from rywire.

well...
I already have the dizzy, fuel rail, and injectors. All I need would be the wire harness. It would cost me about the same to fully convert to OBD1 than to go OBD0 MPFI/Vtec. I would much rather go OBD1 so later on down the line if I get antsy with the fuel economy side of it, I can mini-me the block with the D16Z6 head and ECU. It would take quite a bit more to be able to do that on OBD0, I have checked around on H-T and civic4g.com regarding just that.

My only big concern now is how dependable Rywire is. They are my primary option of whether OBD0 or OBD1 is the route I take. If they aren't truly dependable, I need to know now before I invest money in my daily driver that could be invested elsewhere (like as a minimal trade in on another vehicle, say like a new GTI or 2006 Si Coupe)

Quoted post[/post]]
well...
I already have the dizzy, fuel rail, and injectors. All I need would be the wire harness. It would cost me about the same to fully convert to OBD1 than to go OBD0 MPFI/Vtec. I would much rather go OBD1 so later on down the line if I get antsy with the fuel economy side of it, I can mini-me the block with the D16Z6 head and ECU. It would take quite a bit more to be able to do that on OBD0, I have checked around on H-T and civic4g.com regarding just that.

My only big concern now is how dependable Rywire is. They are my primary option of whether OBD0 or OBD1 is the route I take. If they aren't truly dependable, I need to know now before I invest money in my daily driver that could be invested elsewhere (like as a minimal trade in on another vehicle, say like a new GTI or 2006 Si Coupe)

i got a OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness from them and had it in less than 5 business days. i would say they are pretty dependable.

Cool, I just wanted to make certain they were worth it. They will be charging more than I am comfortable up front, but if the results are worth it I will not have a problem using their services.

Back