d15z1 mini me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hotchkins_box

hi i have a d15z1 bottom end with a z6 mini me swap
i know that i have really deep dish pistons
and i was wondering if anyone knows of any good mods to make it a bit faster
any suggestions apart from boost and swapping a dohc cheers

you need to get rid of the Z1 pistons - your compression ratio is down to below 6.4:1

Raise up the compression if you're not going turbo with pistons to like a 10:1 CR. I/H/E, get it properly tuned, aftermarket camshaft. It won't be "amazing" but it will be a descent ammount of power.

blah. go turbo or supercharged. your already half way there. you got the pistons. the better head to take a aftermarket turbo cam. might as well get the rest of it.

blah. go turbo or supercharged. your already half way there. you got the pistons. the better head to take a aftermarket turbo cam. might as well get the rest of it.
That is true. You will het much more power out of a turbo or supercharger than all motor, and with that compression you'll have no problem.

Last edited:
Go with what jilcrx said;
As far as Honda pistons with stock rods go(in order of highest compression to lowest), your options are PMS pistons(D17 GX engine), P08 pistons(JDM D15B VTEC, heeltoeautomotive sells these IIRC), and D17A2 pistons.

If you were to switch to D15B non-VTEC rods, you can use any of the D16 pistons including the P29s which have a large dome, and the flat-top PM3 pistons(although not recommended for milled heads or blocks); they yield about 10.3-10.5:1 compression.

Z1 pistons are not a good choice... try to change them

Hello, I also have the D15z1 and want to do the mini me set up. I hear that the compression with the z1 pistons and the y6 head is stupid low. Can I have the head shaved/milled and do away with the compression problem?

Back