D15Z6 into D16Z6 guidance please :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Joeh

Hello all
Many apologies for troubling you with my questions.

I recently bought a Civic (96) which originally had a D15Z6 and was poorly (and maybe incompletely) swapped out with a D16Z6 and Turboed.

Rather then trying to troubleshoot it anymore (I've spent weeks trying) please could someone kindly give me a checklist/step by step guide for doing such a swap? I would follow it to ensure he done everything correctly to make sure nothing was missed out.

AFAIK the D15Z6 is OBD2 and the D16Z6 is OBD1 and the swap has been done using the D15Z6 loom w/harness converter + P28.

Please help, I'm quite desperate :(

Many Thanks
Joeh

There's no such thing as a D15Z6 from the factory in a US model... what's the stamp on the front of the block say?

There's no such thing as a D15Z6 from the factory in a US model... what's the stamp on the front of the block say?

Many thank for your reply

The engine was 100% a D15Z6, the car is European

I am in the UK which probably conplicates things more

Joeh

Hi again
Just done some research!
It says online that the D15Z6 is the US equivilant of the D16Y5

Thanks
Joeh

Ah I see... thought you might be outside the US, that's why I specified US in my post. ;)

What's weird though is that usually Honda engines are coded with the block series (D), then the displacement (15), then the head (Z6). The Z6 head is a SOHC VTEC head, so if you have a D15Z6, it should be VTEC already. The Y5 head is VTEC too, but different from the Z6.

Thanks again

Yes they are both VTEC engines, I believe it was only done due to the older engine (D16Y5) having catastrophic failure

Would you know the changes to the loom that would be needed? I'm trying to differentiate between the IACV, MAP and other sensor plugs but they all seem to be the same :( I'm hoping they are incorrectly plugged

Joeh

I don't know without looking it up in one of my manuals- do you have the factory service manuals?

What is the harness converter u used I need the same thing, putting a d16z6 into my ek coupe, also wondering if u know what kinda driver side mount I need for this swap.

Back