d16 bottom build up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

ok im going turbo and would like to build the bottom end on the d16z6. I know I could get lower compression with a thicker gasket and the pistons will remain the same but what else would i need to build the bottom to hold boost? also if there is any other oem honda parts that work that would be great. :D

The stock bottom end will hold 200-220whp when tuned well. If you want to go higher than that, you can just swap out the pistons for forged units and get forged rods... then after that you can go with a resleeve and some head work if you want even more power.

u can put integra rods and pistons in it but that is not recomended for a turbo setup because it bumps your compresion very high like up to 12.5:1 also its better to go with the newer model head because of the square combustion chamber and it allows better combustion and ignition of the fuel. :spin:

Originally posted by civicruleshatches@Sep 25 2003, 10:34 AM
u can put integra rods and pistons in it but that is not recomended for a turbo setup because it bumps your compresion very high like up to 12.5:1 also its better to go with the newer model head because of the square combustion chamber and it allows better combustion and ignition of the fuel. :spin:

Not necessarily. Partial and information with incorrect conclusions is always worse than no information... remember that.

:angry:

u can put integra rods and pistons in it but that is not recomended for a turbo setup because it bumps your compresion very high like up to 12.5:1 also its better to go with the newer model head because of the square combustion chamber and it allows better combustion and ignition of the fuel.
.....integra pistons in a d16...bah! the bore required for the teg pistons will leave for very very thin sleeves. as far as the y8 head is concerned...it is built to resist detonation...

Originally posted by dirty91crx@Sep 25 2003, 10:11 PM
.....integra pistons in a d16...bah! the bore required for the teg pistons will leave for very very thin sleeves.

Not if you use the 86-89 Integra pistons. You should know that dirty!

hahaha damnit! i thought this was pertaining to the newer 90+ teg....oh well ya caught me ;)

Originally posted by civicruleshatches@Sep 30 2003, 10:50 AM
no i didnt mean 90+ but i just figured u would know that!!!! :duh: :angry:

:roll:

You might want to do some reasearch on the supra pistons i have heard that they are a exact fit and will hold about 30 lbs of boost. I was going to do this but now im going to go high compresion.... also on the above mentioned teg pistons do they really raise compression and would they be better than a set of zc pistons thanks.... Sorry not trying to hijack a thread

The pistons might hold that level of boost, but the stock sleeve sure as hell won't.

Originally posted by 97hatch@Oct 1 2003, 11:10 AM
You might want to do some reasearch on the supra pistons i have heard that they are a exact fit and will hold about 30 lbs of boost. I was going to do this but now im going to go high compresion.... also on the above mentioned teg pistons do they really raise compression and would they be better than a set of zc pistons thanks.... Sorry not trying to hijack a thread

thats the kind of pistons were talking about is the jdm zc teg pistons.

Depending on what you want if you want a nice set up reliable strong and a fair amout of boost like 10psi.

Forged pistons and rods a CR of 9:1 or 8.5:1
Have the block bored honed
Have the crank polished and balanced
replace all rod bearings and onlly the mains that need it
I suggest a plastic guage strip test
If you don't have the bills to sleeve the engine go with a block guard
one that allows for flow of coolent.
You want to fit the guard in before you have the engine bored honed decked
Don't remove it or you will have to start over. The block guard is only effective in this way. It is cheap and does work if your going for a great boost it will not hold but up to 10-12 it is ok.
You can mill the head .030 port and polish.
You will need a upgraded fuel pump fuel pressure regulator and 350 cc injectors at least. I suggest a fuel managment system for tuneing A/F ratios. Apex i will work cheap and effective but greddy is better.

It seems like a lot of work but if you do it this way it will last and be a lot faster. Do it right do it once. Good luck

88-89 teg rods are stronger and will hold up over 200 the dome pistons from the teg of these years will raise compression in a d series the 88-89 teg pistons are the same as the ZC. 88-89 teg or ZC rods being the same are stronger then stock D16 rods and are compareable with D16Z6 rods.

Engine rebuilding is not a walk in the park if you have a ratched and a honda sticker on your car you most likely are going to have some problems take you time get a manual and follow it . There is a reason for the specifications

Back