d16 build questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

philyphreak2127

Back in the Game
Alright I threw a rod in my d16y7 from my 98 civic, so I swapped in a d16y8, for a little extra power. However I now have a motor sitting in my garage that can be fixed and dropped in. So I decided I will make that my project motor. My question is this: I have been looking around at different piston setups that would be the best idea to boost this motor. I was wondering if it would be possible without much modification to drop a D15b7 racing crank, and H-beam rods in the motor. The D15b7 has the shortest rods out of the d-series motors according to my info so I was thinking if possible its basically a mild stroker kit for a d-series motor.

sorry destroker. lol But the only reason I say the crank and rods, is because I wanna just use the block I already have. I was just playing around with some ideas. And as for power ranges I would like to at least hit 200. Which may take a lot of work, but the car is being built kind of for an autocross style racing. Which is why I let go of the H23 being that it is a heavier, taller motor. I figure for the handling aspect running a boosted d-series motor would probably be the best bet.

honestly I don't even know how I would enter races like that. I work on cars for fun. But I have been building up the suspension on my car slowly, and love the way it handles, so I decided to start modding the motor. and actually...The motor I just dropped in has arp head studs, and I have a turbo oil pan as well. The motor I bought was a spare motor for a guy who had a turboed hatch. Unfortunely I didn't have the extra $300 at the time to get the turbo kit he had on the motor.

Alright do you have suggestions for a turbo setup? I want the boost to hit in the reltively low rpms, and it doesn't need to be boosted too high 7-15 pounds at the most.

Hye I have been reading up on Vitara pistons, are they really worth buying or should I just go forged pistons?? and how many milimeters are the rods? I have heard the Vitara pistons are like half the cost of forged pistons, but are still way stronger than the stock d-series pistons. I have been looking into it and I'm thinking I have a new hp goal of around 275-300. Cost is not an issue. So any suggestions are helpful.

Back