D16 into my 88 civic lx?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dorkslayer4life

How hard would a D16 motor swap be with V-tec from a 1995 civic into my 1988 lx civic? What all is required? Would an 1991 si tranny bolt right up?

Originally posted by senate_9427@Jan 12 2005, 04:00 AM
you shoudl post this in the right forum first of all, if you want an answer
[post=444522]Quoted post[/post]​

WTF HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA
1991 and older Civics, CRXs and 93 and older Integra Swap Questions
SOunds like the right forum to me.

THey will all bolt in with some minor modifications, mainly the drivers side mount. The crx si tranny will work no problem considering that your car is a 5 spd. Try to get the flywheel for that tranny so you can use a little bit bigger clutch. If you use your 88 flywheel you will need to use an 88 clutch. I have done the swap before and its not a bad swap. Also look into the zc engine. It will be about equally as fast but you don't have to worry about wiring for vtec. TO use the vtec motor properly you will need to wire for mpfi swap and convert to obd1 to be able to use the ecu from the engine. At bare minuim not to use the 2 fuel injectors from your lx manifold you will need to do the mpfi swap and then find a way to activate vtec.
If I was doing this again I would just get the zc.

you have to use the mount from your car, not the motor is what he meant.

the zc will be an easier swap and most likely cheaper because of not converting to obd1, which is the best way to go with the vtec motor. but if you want to use the motor, it is pretty simple. like jeef said

Originally posted by Jeef+Jan 12 2005, 12:21 PM-->
senate_9427
@Jan 12 2005, 04:00 AM
you shoudl post this in the right forum first of all, if you want an answer
[post=444522]Quoted post[/post]​

WTF HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA
1991 and older Civics, CRXs and 93 and older Integra Swap Questions
SOunds like the right forum to me.

THey will all bolt in with some minor modifications, mainly the drivers side mount. The crx si tranny will work no problem considering that your car is a 5 spd. Try to get the flywheel for that tranny so you can use a little bit bigger clutch. If you use your 88 flywheel you will need to use an 88 clutch. I have done the swap before and its not a bad swap. Also look into the zc engine. It will be about equally as fast but you don't have to worry about wiring for vtec. TO use the vtec motor properly you will need to wire for mpfi swap and convert to obd1 to be able to use the ecu from the engine. At bare minuim not to use the 2 fuel injectors from your lx manifold you will need to do the mpfi swap and then find a way to activate vtec.
If I was doing this again I would just get the zc.
[post=444602]Quoted post[/post]​

It was in Members Lounge last night

Oh, I didn't see that.

For the mount you just use the drivers side mount from your current d series, or just the L bracket from it. This swap has been done many times and there are pages all over the net about it. I would google it to find out what else is involved. I think you need to change a sensor too.

Google up "4G DX to ZC" and you'll find a page on the CRX Si resource with some pretty detailed instructions on how to wire everything up. Going to VTEC after the MPFI conversion isn't hard. If you're planning on modding the engine further after your swap, go with the SOHC VTEC. If you want to just swap and leave it as is, go with the DOHC ZC. The aftermarket has much better support for the SOHC VTEC engine.

On reinforced mounts, you could get an Energy Suspension mount insert kit (about $30-40), or go cheap and fill your stock mounts with 3M Window Weld from AutoZone.

Back