d16 mix and match

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fernpatch

So I have a question for the board. I currently have a d16a6 in my wagon that runs good but burns a hellish amount of oil. I have a low mile d15b2 and an unknown condition d16a1 sitting in my shop. I can't swap the complete d15b2 because it does not have the cast in pads to mount the intermediet sp? shaft to the block.

What I am thinking about doing is taking the head from the d15 and the pistons and rods from the d16a1 and putting them on/in my d16a6 block. Would I be better off just rebuilding my current motor or do you guys think that my franken build could work.

From what I have researched the d16a6 and the d15b2 both use the same head casting. I know the cams are differant but are the valve springs the same?

The d16a1 pistons with a pm3 head should run about 10.5 compression as opposed to the stock 9.2 with the pm6 pistons. The biggest thing I am concerned about is the fact that from my calculations I will be running zero piston to deck clearance with the pg6 pistons as opposed to the 0.020 clearance with the pm6 pistons. Will this be a problem?

Also will the d16a1 rods work properly with the d16a6 block and crank?

Sorry for the long book and thanks for reading.

the d15b2 head, as long as it doesn't have the mechanical fuel pump (by cyl #4) will work with your d16a6 block and d16a1 pistons.
use the cam from the d16a6 head and a d16z6 intake manifold (ez to find) for more power.

cool. Thank you sir. As soon as I have the money for arp hardware and some gaskets I will tear all three motors apart and build one interested one out of the parts.

hey if your interested i have some d16 eagle hbeams that would really help your build. brand new in box 250 shipped

Back