d16 obd1 harness/ecu with b16 motor/tranny?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

portaman03

hey all i searched but im getting mixed reviews. im going to be purchasing a 95 civic ex. it has a 99 Si b16a2 (usdm) motor/tranny but the guy claims to be running the STOCK (d16) harness and ecu.

now if im not mistaken, wouldnt this be a problem?
the stock (d16) ecu is the p28 obd1 and the new engine requires a p2t obd2 to run properly?
so.. if the b16a2 swap was installed and running a stock p28/harness, wouldnt this affect things.. like NO VTEC?:confused:

my main concern is the car's engine running and driving LIKE AN Si SHOULD!

so, what are my options? is it possible to get a obd1 to obd2 conversion harness which would plug into a p2t ecu (and make features such as vtec work properly)? if so, would this negatively affect anything (dash harness, etc)?
:confused:
or should i stick with the setup now (p28 + stock harness) and just have to rewire certain things? im confused as to whether or not everything would be connected when swapping the sohc for the DOHC with the sohc harness! like i said before, maybe no vtec when the conversion was done on the stock harness?:(

all i want is for the 95 civic ex to run a b16a2 with no problems!
THAT INCLUDES PASSING EMMISSIONS!! it is USDM.

i know some of you guys know more than others, but ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!:rolleyes:

Well.. the 95 EX did come with VTEC equipped on the D16Z6 so there shouldn't be a problem there. As far as passing emissions you shouldn't have a problem since the car is older than the motor swapped into it and it is a newer OBD system. The only differences as far as wiring is concerned is the addition of a knock sensor which the B series VTEC motors have and the lengthening of VTEC wires on the stock D series harness. IF the guy has the stock ECU then there is a possibility of him having had it chipped to accomodate the new motor. That may be your only emissions problem because some ECU chips (like the Skunk2 P28 chip) run a little rich. But if he did chip the ECU then that could also explain the stock harness and ECU in the 95 because alot of aftermarket ECU chips (like Hondata) allow the ECU to not look for the knock sensor negating the need for wiring it.

My advice.... if you are worried about the thing running properly then find you a reputable mechanic or tuner that knows what the heck they are doing and let them check the thing out before you buy it. They should be able to tell you what is going on with your whip. Also, test drive the car and make sure it is what you want in a Civic. Make sure nothing is overheating, shifting or idling incorrectly or harshly and make sure the check engine light is off. These are just a few practical suggestions to help you along the way.

Back