D16 question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Xaero3953

Rest In Peace
>I am currently re-building my D16Y8 motor. I've bought a new block, blah blah, My main question is: In old-school chevy and ford motors, boring a block makes a significant increase in power, but only if you bore the right size. I'm looking into boring my motor, but was curious what size to get the most out of the power. I don't want to go so big that I won't be able to find Pistons, but not so small not to notice the power increase...any ideas?

And would this affect any type of forced induction?

Thanx for any help :lol:

Standard aftermarket D series pistons are generally available in quantity up to a 78mm bore... after that you can still go as high as 80mm, but those are a bit harder to find. I wouldn't bore more than 1mm larger than stock (76mm) on the stock sleeve though.

Originally posted by Blanco@Sep 11 2005, 07:20 PM
Most of the people over at D-Series say 75.5mm max on stock sleeves.
[post=552769]Quoted post[/post]​

What's D-series?

Originally posted by Xaero3953+Sep 11 2005, 06:40 PM-->
@Sep 11 2005, 07:20 PM
Most of the people over at D-Series say 75.5mm max on stock sleeves.
[post=552769]Quoted post[/post]​

What's D-series?
[post=552777]Quoted post[/post]​

d-series.org - probably the best site out there dedicated to the D series engines.

The maximum size for the sleeves according to the service manual (Honda's spec) is 75.5mm (only .5mm over stock), but you can push it to 76mm if you really want to. It'll work. If you want to bore out to increase displacement for power though, you won't gain much at all. D series pistons are so small compared to the domestics that boring out a full millimeter compared to a half millimeter is only going to get you another 21.4cc. That's not much at all.

75mm bore = 1590.431281
75.5mm bore = 1611.707717
76mm bore = 1633.125525

You would have better results staying with a bore as close to stock as possible (75, 75.25, 75.5 max)- then concentrating on compression ratio, porting and cams to get your power levels where you want. The slight increase that you get from the extra 20cc isn't worth the risk of making your sleeve too thin.

Back