d16 sleeves

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

misbah

ok ive never posted before, but, ive been searching a but load and came up with a beautiful NA set up for the d16y8 (yes im keeping that block. its decided. there will be no swap) but then i sat down and noticed how flat my wallet is, and came up with something more realistic. As for sleeves, on a NA d16y8 motor, expected for 200bhp, maybe 170 at the wheels (with or with out n2o). Ive read every post with the word "sleeve" in it, applicable to NA motors. Weather its needed or not I mean. And the closest and most bluntly helpful piece of info i found isss

::Calesta::
This kind of BULLSHIT is really fucking pissing me off. I don't understand why the fuck everyone is so concerned with the B20 sleeve cracking or breaking in an NA application. Hell, it's strong enough to hold quite a bit of boost on its own too. The reason why the B20 breaks in NA applications is the same reason why LS/VTECs break- someone built it wrong, or someone beat on it to the extent that any engine would have blown up. You do NOT need to resleeve a B20 to run a VTEC head on it with high compression pistons. Just build the engine with the proper parts, assemble it correctly, and you'll be fine.
:: Calesta::

That gave me a strong "NO" feeling. But just to make sure, that advice is for a b20 block, im assuming the same applies to a d16 block? hell i dont want the bitches anyways..freakin expensive. i was just gonna do a .5mm bore n hone. i got the impression from the search that sleeving NA motors, specially 200bhp NA motors is NOT necessary..

Well to start off there is a big difference between a B20 and a D16y8. I personally am keeping my D16Z6 (so I understand where you are comming from wanting to keep your D16Y8) but I am boosting it. I will be getting a spare block to build up(so I have no downtime). That spare block WILL be sleeved, but remember I am boosting it. You could get away with it staying N/A. Maybe you could get a "block guard" to strengthen it up some (plus it might ease your mind some knowing it's there). I am about preventative maintanence. I do things in preparation of big things. It keeps my car from blowing up. Better to be safe than sorry yo!

Hey knowledge thanx for the help/advice. I don't think i'll get it re-sleeved after all, seems like that 800 bucks can be better spent elsewhere. I just wanted to make sure.. my thinking is that if the stock block can handle the stock hp, and if ppl use stock sleeves on light boost on teeny turbos (not saying yours is teeny lol) on d16's, then im sure the stock sleeving can hold well to a slight...75ish hp increase in all motor power..if i can get that much out of it. I figure boost kills sleevs, not high RPM or high compression. I don't even want the compression insanely high, none of this 12.5:1 stuff, im looking for a more conservativ 11 or 11.5:1. lol honestly im too scared to run anything higher, i had an old protege that i once raised compression in and it sounded like i had pennies in the chamber..none the less thanx for the advice, greatly appreciated.

if anyone has any other comments feel free to add

Back