d16 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sevenhillsbilly

i just bought a 89 si with a d15 and was wondering if i could use the old transmission if i put a d16a6 in it and would it withstand the power if i punched the d16 and threw a turbo on it
also what is the best chip for a crx
and what is the easies way to set the turbo to a certan pressure without a boost controler

i just bought a 89 si with a d15 and was wondering if i could use the old transmission if i put a d16a6 in it and would it withstand the power if i punched the d16 and threw a turbo on it
also what is the best chip for a crx
and what is the easies way to set the turbo to a certan pressure without a boost controler

I just blew my transmission on my D15 so i pulled the motor and tranny so i could replace it with my D16A6 tranny because i am rebuilding my D16 well to get to the pointthe tranny will not mount up because the cluth on the D15 is smaller the the D16. The thing that i am going to try this weekend is pulling my motor again and trying to swap the flywheel from the D16 so i can run the D16 clutch and tranny

any dseries tranny will bolt up to any dseries block,,i would try to find an si tranny because they have really awesome gearing,,but the d15 tranny will work for now,,,as for turbo it all depends how much power your trying to make to see if the tranny will hold,,your wastegate should be able to determine psi w/ out a controller but im not 100% sure

so what i am hearing with both of your input is that if i put a d15 flywheel on the d16 block i can use the d15 tranny for now

The 1.5 flywheel will fit the 1.6 engine without any issues. Be sure to use a 1.6 clutch kit with it. They varied in size...if you want you can get one from a newer 96-00 sohc civic. Doesnt matter though, they are just a bigger diameter clutch disc. The 1.5-1.6 cable transmissions used the same gears internally, the final drive makes the difference.

you should get a tranny from an si...the d16a6 tranny is what you want...

Back