d16 Tranny Swap Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stiegz1983

Hey Guys,

I'm doing a transmission swap on my 98 Civic EX auto. I'm using a 97 lx sedan as the donor car. Both cars use a 3 wire iacv sensor. I've read that 98 ex manuals have a 2 wire iacv. Will I have issues with that? Or can I leave the 3 wire intact?

My other question is if can use my EX auto ecu? (Check engine lights don't bother me if its just freaking out because it will think it's in park)

Thanks,
Stiegz

The throttle body/IACV/Intake manifold will need to match the ECU.

You can use an auto ECU but you will always have a CEL. You can't pass smog with a CEL.

Thanks SuspendedHatch!
I have an AEM ECU I'll use but I want to wait to install it until I have my car at the dyno. I'm pretty timid when it comes to engine tuning.

Manual EX civic's for that year do use a 2 wire IACV. If you want to use that ecu you will have to get a 5 speed EX throttle body, a 2 wire IACV, the 3 wire to 2 wire IACV fix and you can either drill/tap your auto manifold to accept the 2 wire IACV or you can swap in a 5 speed manifold.

The AEM EMS can technically handle the fully electronic auto trans in your 96+ Civic, but AEM doesn't support it and there are very few if any tuners capable of wiring and setting it up properly.

Back