D16A ZC JDM building advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

^^^Your correct^^ I should have been more exact.

I'm clearly stamped, when the OP ask if there was a huge difference between A6 and A1. Just giving him an example in similarities of what usdm and jdm.

If he ask the parts defferences you already given that to him.

More info about the engine its labeled ZC1 on the engine block, so from a CRX 85-87 era

It will take a TD-43 OBD1 distributor for the ZC.

the TD43U distributor will not bolt onto the ZC1 head - the ZC1 used a vacuum advance distributor which had a completely different bolt pattern from the later ZCs with electronic ignition advance

the head on the left is same as 88-95 ZC - the head on the right is same as the 84-87 ZC1 - the red circles are where the distributor bolts on, in addition to the one bolt in the camshaft cap (which is also different - bolt on ZC1 is closer to the camshaft) - the blue circles are where the cylinder sensor bolts on - the 84-87 ZC1 cylinder sensor is also different from 88-91 ZC

1gtegheads2-3.jpg

Last edited:
the TD43U distributor will not bolt onto the ZC1 head - the ZC1 used a vacuum advance distributor which had a completely different bolt pattern from the later ZCs with electronic ignition advance

the head on the left is same as 88-95 ZC - the head on the right is same as the 84-87 ZC1 - the red circles are where the distributor bolts on, in addition to the one bolt in the camshaft cap (which is also different - bolt on ZC1 is closer to the camshaft) - the blue circles are where the cylinder sensor bolts on - the 84-87 ZC1 cylinder sensor is also different from 88-91 ZC

1gtegheads2-3.jpg
I looked at the mini with the DOHC ZC. Wrong car.

Keep this for your info:

Don't get the A1 and the A6 confused. D16A1 comes out of usdm obd0 integra, D16A6 comes out of the usdm 88-91 crx si, these are none jdm engines.

Dohc zc=jdm
sohc zc=jdm

Dohc zc=D16A1
Sohc zc=D16A6

Sohc zc vtec= D16z6 vtec

If you want a complete parts list of the jdm dohc zc go to the forums I posted and do some reading and research, something I assume you haven't done.:p:huh::mad::rimshot::(:eek:)
Dont wanna be rude, but never good to assume someone doesnt search for material. Im not big into the import tuner scene, do you realize how many of these forums are on the internet. I have spent the last few weeks searching a few of the forums that seem to have information about what I need and have found a wealth of information about the engines, tuning, tips, parts, builds, but its always good to start a thread to get information directly from those of your who are "extremely knowledgable" on the subject. I have found the list of the parts you mentioned, still trying to descipher it. Im looking for advice not critism on my searching abilities.

Jeremy

Keep this for your info:

Don't get the A1 and the A6 confused. D16A1 comes out of usdm obd0 integra, D16A6 comes out of the usdm 88-91 crx si, these are none jdm engines.

Dohc zc=jdm
sohc zc=jdm

Dohc zc=D16A1
Sohc zc=D16A6

Sohc zc vtec= D16z6 vtec

If you want a complete parts list of the jdm dohc zc go to the forums I posted and do some reading and research, something I assume you haven't done.:p:huh::mad::rimshot::(:eek:)
also I mistaken asked this question, read the next line

^^^Your correct^^ I should have been more exact.

I'm clearly stamped, when the OP ask if there was a huge difference between A6 and A1. Just giving him an example in similarities of what usdm and jdm.

If he ask the parts defferences you already given that to him.
again mistakenly asked that questions, I was reading the thread about his engine build and mistook the type of engine change he was doing.

1gtegheads2-3.jpg
Do you know of another OBD1 dist to use? from searching other forums, the 43U seems to be the common recommendation,

Do you know of another OBD1 dist to use? from searching other forums, the 43U seems to be the common recommendation,
TD43U is the correct distributor for the OBD1 DOHC ZC, however, since your ZC1 head is not the same as the OBD1 DOHC ZC head, the TD43U won't bolt on - you might try swapping the #6 cap on the intake cam for one from 88-89 Integra which would allow you to get one bolt in at the top on the TD43U, although i would not be comfortable with just the one attaching bolt - the other 2 bolts won't even be close - i know there are people that do just use one bolt - i don't know of any OBD1 distributors that will bolt right on - the TD41U from the 92-95 Civic non-VTEC engine is probably as close as you will get, although you will most likely need to modify the mounting holes in order to bolt it on - even with that, i am not sure that the TD41U is indexed to the cam correctly so that when cylinder #1 is up at TDC on compression, the rotor will be pointing at #1 on the distributor cap

Last edited:
TD43U is the correct distributor for the OBD1 DOHC ZC, however, since your ZC1 head is not the same as the OBD1 DOHC ZC head, the TD43U won't bolt on - you might try swapping the #6 cap on the intake cam for one from 88-89 Integra which would allow you to get one bolt in at the top on the TD43U, although i would not be comfortable with just the one attaching bolt - the other 2 bolts won't even be close - i know there are people that do just use one bolt - i don't know of any OBD1 distributors that will bolt right on - the TD41U from the 92-95 Civic non-VTEC engine is probably as close as you will get, although you will most likely need to modify the mounting holes in order to bolt it on - even with that, i am not sure that the TD41U is indexed to the cam correctly so that when cylinder #1 is up at TDC on compression, the rotor will be pointing at #1 on the distributor cap
So sounds like its staying OBD0. Do you have a good combintation of changes I could do for the engine, even with reading all the compatiable parts and builds from other people, im still a little lost on what will bolt on/mods and actually work. Basically do you have a recommendation setup known to work while giving some performance improvement? Its going in a mini, which by itself (if it actually makes 130 at the flywheel, still translates to 100hp gain over the stock 1L and adds very little overall weight to the car) will be a great improvment in power, but greed and HP gains go hand in hand.. :)

So sounds like its staying OBD0. Do you have a good combintation of changes I could do for the engine, even with reading all the compatiable parts and builds from other people, im still a little lost on what will bolt on/mods and actually work. Basically do you have a recommendation setup known to work while giving some performance improvement? Its going in a mini, which by itself (if it actually makes 130 at the flywheel, still translates to 100hp gain over the stock 1L and adds very little overall weight to the car) will be a great improvment in power, but greed and HP gains go hand in hand.. :)
well, if i were doing it, i would do what we did to our 89 drag only Civic hatch, which is to switch it over to dual Weber carbs which allows you to get rid of the ECU, the sensors and all of the related wiring along with the pressurized fuel system - makes wiring it much more simple - this is our ZC with the dual Webers - it is completely stock except for the carbs and stage 4 camshafts and makes 150whp

100_0847-2.jpg

well, if i were doing it, i would do what we did to our 89 drag only Civic hatch, which is to switch it over to dual Weber carbs which allows you to get rid of the ECU, the sensors and all of the related wiring along with the pressurized fuel system - makes wiring it much more simple - this is our ZC with the dual Webers - it is completely stock except for the carbs and stage 4 camshafts and makes 150whp

100_0847-2.jpg
That does look like a nice setup, a good set of webers for a decent price is a hard find. I read in your build about another sensor you had to add? Cant remember what it was.

Back