D16a1 into 88 Crx HF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mustang11

New to this, got a deal on a 89 Integra that was hit in the side but the motor runs sweet It looks like the mounts are different, will the crx mounts bolt on, is this a good swap. Any info will be very helpfull,Thanks

If it's a d-series it will bolt up.
D16A1 .
Displacement (cc): 1590
Power (bhp@rpm): 113 @ 6250
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 99 @ 5500
Compression Ratio: 9.3:1
Bore (mm): 75
Stroke (mm): 90
Cam Design: dohc
VTEC?: no
OBD: 0
Year(s) Produced: 1986-1987
In the following car(s): Acura Integra

Also this motor is MPFI(multi-port fuel injection) which you will be fine with. If you had a DX it would suck.(DPFI--Convert) I think you'll need the fuel lines from the integra as well. (correct me if I'm wrong) mounts work, linkage from the integra probably, Integra ECU.

Car downtime: 1-2 days. Easy as hell.

in general, good swap.. :D

D16A1 from 86-89 Integra will not bolt into the 88 CRX - mounts will not fit - won't bolt to transmission - will bolt right into 1st gen CRX

I did not know that thanks. I thought all d-series bolted to any d-series. kinda like the B-series.

Question and answer from Super Street magazine
Q.I just bought a Honda CRX and would like to know more about engine swapping. A lot of my friends are telling me about all these different types of motors and parts to put on it. I'm not rich, but my dad had come across an '89 Integra that got rear ended but still has a running motor. I would like to know if i could swap the Integra motor into my CRX. Would putting this motor in my car be a good idea? Has the swap been done before? If so, what do i need from the Integra to make it work? Will it be smog legal? That's very important to me. One last thing, the car is a 5-speed and so is mine. Will that make any part of the swap easier?

A. Your in luck-the 1.6L DOHC motor is actually quite a poular swap. Som people even refer to it as the "budget B16A." The swap is pretty straightforward, but you will need everything including the motor, mounts, tranny, ECU, axles, and shift linkage. Although the motor is pre-VTEC, you'll notice a nice increase of power and torque over the stock D16 single slammer. All in all, its a very good motor for the price. And for smog, since you're using the motor out of a newer model car and puttingit into your '88 CRX, it is actually a legal swap. Just make sure the motor is in good running condition and that whoever does the swap wll install the smog control devices back onto the car. This means charcoal canisters, catalytic converters, and EGR valves. The closer to stock it is, the less money its going to cost you to get a smog check. Doing a manual-to-manual engine swap is always a lot easier than doing a manual to automatic conversion. It will save you time, money on parts and labor, and headaches.

well if super street says so, then i guess it MUST be true! ...ok yeah that was sarcasim but it should bolt right in.

i dont care what super street says. The 88-89 teg motor does not bolt in the 88-91 Crx, super street is referring to the ZC, i have personally attempted this swap, back when i first got into swapping motors and abandoned it after figuring out how difficult it was to swap for a shitty little 5 HP over the stock D16a6, you will need to fabricate custom mounts if you want this to happen, its not worth it.

Originally posted by HondaMoCo@Jul 21 2003, 02:55 PM
i dont care what super street says. The 88-89 teg motor does not bolt in the 88-91 Crx, super street is referring to the ZC, i have personally attempted this swap, back when i first got into swapping motors and abandoned it after figuring out how difficult it was to swap for a shitty little 5 HP over the stock D16a6, you will need to fabricate custom mounts if you want this to happen, its not worth it.

right on! - it will not fit without a lot of work.

http://www.jgenginedynamics.com/D16A1%20BLOCK
if you take a look at this block this is your D16a1 integra block, now if you look at the front view, you will see how there is no front engine mount bolt holes, and if you look at the side view of the pick you will see were those studs stick out of the block, that is were the teg mount bolts up. so to get this motor to bolt into your rex you either have to A. custom fabricate a bount that will wrap around and bolt to the front of the motor, or B. have to drill and Tap holes were the mount would go(highly un-reccommended), im not trying to throw this in anyones face, i just want to show you guys what im talking so you understand better.

Back