D16a1 rods in A6 block..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

Hey, I've got all these parts laying around and now that I picked up this a6 for a z6 'mini-me', I started diggin.

I found a set of used a1 rod assemblies and MAN are the teg rods thicker! (I'll try and get some pics posted) but til then the center channel looks slightly deeper and the "Y" near the big end looks smaller. The cap looks thicker also.

I'll have to get the assembly balanced now because of the different rods/pistons. 200.00 that I really didn't want to spend.
BUT, the a1 pistons up the compression a bit too!

Once I get them pressed off, I'll get a weight for ya.
(anyone got some ARP rod bolts for a D?)

E

OK, here's some pics.
tegrods11.jpg

tegrods12.jpg

tegrods13.jpg

tegrods14.jpg

E

They barely look any different- why not some cheap Scat rods? $300 for a set with hardware?

...'cause they're FREE:D (well, they have been sitting for over 12yrs. Forgot what I paid for the whole motor)
And I'd have to get the assy balanced anyway.

The taper of the a6's cyl was .002 at the bottom and about .0045 near the top. (pretty good for over 180,000 miles!) so i don't know if I should pop for new cast pistons or just dingle hone and throw new rings in there.

I wonder if the d16a1's flywheels are the same?
I had a couple lightened way back when. Just got to dig them out.
If I remember right, the flywheel was a bit larger in dia.

If I had a digital scale I could measure the difference to show.

E

Free is good. :D

Not sure about the flywheels- you could always measure it and compare against dimensions at AutoZone's web site or something.

I wonder if the d16a1's flywheels are the same?
I had a couple lightened way back when. Just got to dig them out.
If I remember right, the flywheel was a bit larger in dia.
D16A1 flywheels are not the same as 88 and up Civic/CRX D-series flywheels - the D16A1 didn't use a pilot bearing to support the transmission input shaft - the hole in the flywheel is too small for the pilot bearing - the D16A1 flywheels were made to receive the 200mm diameter clutch assembly, like the 89 CRX/Civic Si

DAflywheels-3.jpg

Thanks man.! Didja make pics up just for ME? Thanks. I still haven't figured how to make pics like that. (not that I've really tried or looked into it)

E

HEY.. So I guess that means that one CAN'T use the A1 trans behind a civic motor?

Last edited:
Yes-sir they is..

They are lots beefy-er than the regular D15 or the a6's.
Once they get the pistons popped off, I'll take more measurements for proof.

BUT, I'll have to get the assy balanced so I won't lighten the flywheel just yet. Just in case they need to remove lots of metal from 'somewhere', I'd rather it be taken from there instead of grinding the rods.

E

Back