D16a6 Camshaft and Cam Gear Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am in the process of putting new gaskets from the head up on my engine, and I'm doing some performance upgrades at the same time. I have an underdrive pulley, aftermarket intake manifold, header, and intake already. I'm thinking of getting a cam gear and a camshaft from a SOHC ZC to swap in. Would these two parts be worth getting or would the gains be minimal? Also, could a novice install both of these? I've never messed with the internals of an engine before. Thanks.

Quoted post[/post]]
I am in the process of putting new gaskets from the head up on my engine, and I'm doing some performance upgrades at the same time. I have an underdrive pulley, aftermarket intake manifold, header, and intake already. I'm thinking of getting a cam gear and a camshaft from a SOHC ZC to swap in. Would these two parts be worth getting or would the gains be minimal? Also, could a novice install both of these? I've never messed with the internals of an engine before. Thanks.

i dont think the gains would be that big; isnt the ZC rated the same hp as the Si(A6)? Id say just save up for an aftermarket camshaft or do a mini-me.

Quoted post[/post]]
i dont think the gains would be that big; isnt the ZC rated the same hp as the Si(A6)? Id say just save up for an aftermarket camshaft or do a mini-me.

The zc is rated at somewhere around 125. But I'm not entirely sure where that extra power comes from. I know the compression is higher, which will add a few HPs.. But not a whole lot. The d16a6 is only rated at 108hp. :blink: But its a feisty little fucker. With all the basic mods, my little rex was screaming. 15.9 quarter miles and a 133mph top end. Not bad for a 108 HP engine in a car with a full enterior.

Quoted post[/post]]
The zc is rated at somewhere around 125. But I'm not entirely sure where that extra power comes from. I know the compression is higher, which will add a few HPs.. But not a whole lot. The d16a6 is only rated at 108hp. :blink: But its a feisty little fucker. With all the basic mods, my little rex was screaming. 15.9 quarter miles and a 133mph top end. Not bad for a 108 HP engine in a car with a full enterior.

Nope. The SOHC ZC is rated at 120ps, which is about 117hp. It uses the exact same pistons/head/block as the D16A6. The only difference is the camshaft and the tuning.

http://effinmotorworks.com/SOHC_Cam_Specifications.htm

That's a quick article about the SOHC ZC camshaft that the guys in Austin measured from my SOHC ZC block. You have a bit less exhaust duration but with more lift, and you have more overlap too.

Quoted post[/post]]
Get a Delta 262 or 272 regrind from www.DeltaCam.com. I think I remember them being in the $80 range and they provide excellent gains on the A6.

As for swapping the cam, yeah it's fairly straight forward and somewhat time consuming. It'll probably take you 2-4 hours. Just make sure that you at least have a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual handy.

Nah, won't take anywhere near 2-4 hours. You should be able to swap a cam in 2 hours or less.

Quoted post[/post]]
Get a Delta 262 or 272 regrind from www.DeltaCam.com. I think I remember them being in the $80 range and they provide excellent gains on the A6.

As for swapping the cam, yeah it's fairly straight forward and somewhat time consuming. It'll probably take you 2-4 hours. Just make sure that you at least have a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual handy.

So would I have to send them my cam to get a regrind done by them? I can't afford any down time, except the downtime of fixing everything at once. I looked around at the other cams, but I can't see paying $300 - $400 for minimal gains.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

there's NO WAY you had 133 mph trap speeds with 15.9 1/4 times!....must be a typo. More like 80 MPH.

if your going to swap a cam you might as well put a Crower "Stage 1" cam in (I hear they are a pretty mean cam. Also an AEM camgear will do fine with your upgrades!. The main thing for installing the cam is to lay plastiguage and check your clearances and match to your HAYNES manual.

Back