D16a6 Stock Block Rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89' Project Civic

d16a6/d16y8 "mini-me"
Hey guys; I'm getting a fair amount of money from my income tax and I wanted to just use my D16y8 head (rebuilt).

For the D16y8 I have already done:
Valve lapping
ALL new seals and,
Cleaned it spic-and-span (nothing crazy).

PLANS FOR THE HEAD:
Crower "Stage 1" camshaft
All stock valvetrain
D15b7 Distributor

The block I bought is a D16a6. My question is should I fully rebuild the D16a6 bottom end with OEM parts (pistons, rod bearings, rings, z6 oil pump). I'm not going performance because I am buying a B16a2 in the future and there would be no need to. I need some suggestions on how-to build this block if I'm going to. A LOT of pictures will be added if I decide to. Also, I am thinking of buying my rebuild kit on eBay.ca, has anyone bought this kit and if so how did it work?. If you bought this kit please let me know. I would also like to know that my engine is clean.

Here's the link to the site:
88-91 Honda Civic CRX 1.6 D16A6 Rings Pistons Main Rod - (eBay.ca item 260319684408 end time 20-May-09 16:19:51 EDT)

Why is every body building up d series motors these days??? its not a bad thing props to you.

I personally decided to rebuild it just because I'm always broke, lol. I thought it would be an upgrade from my D15b2 engine it originally came from. I am on a tight budget. As well, I'm just starting to take engines apart and it's something to break a $500 rebuild then it is to break an expensive b-series engine rebuild. Plus, this engine is easily swapped into my EF chassis. I would race a lot if I had more power, so restricting myself to 140-150hp wouldn't be such a bad idea:ph34r:. I hope it all goes together right!. I am in the midst of installing my d16y8 head and thought to myself "ahh, what the hell I'll just rebuild the bottom end" for extra insurance that it won't break 5k down the road, haha. Thanks for asking though. Have you by any chance rebuilt my kind of swap?

Why is every body building up d series motors these days??? its not a bad thing props to you.

I have learned alot about the D-series motor...i have a D16A6 coming my way and i am going this route to maybe see if its worth putting new parts...OEM sounds good, but if your going to beat on it make sure you strenghen the motor. A6 FTW!!!!

i wouldn't rock the y8 head. i'd go with a z6 head. i have the a6/y8 mini me and it needs tuning right off the bat to run right. if i were you, i'd go with the z6 head since the a6 and z6 block are pretty much the same design, besides the a6 being the strongest d series block. but that means that bolting the z6 head on is like having a stronger z6. i'm going to be taking off my y8 head and bolting up a z6 head. z6 head flows better than the y8 too. just some things to think about before you go that route. but trust me, i think you'll regret it once you've done it, i am. i should've just gone with the a6/z6 from the get go. just think about it man, just tryin to help. good luck my man

Thanks man, I am too far into this project now to back out. I have a few hundred in this head. I appreciate the concern, and I might end up doing what your doing in the future. I can sell my D16y8 head at a later date as it will have "stage 2" cam, "stage 2" springs, adjustable cam gear, and powdercoated valve cover. I could easily see $200 coming out of this head project in the future:).

Back