D16A6 "swap" (long story)..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

arsenal55

Hey everyone. I am a big CR-X fan, and currently own 2. I live in Chicago, but found a very well-kept CRX Si in TX. After driving it up for 400 miles, the timing belt ripped and bent the valves.

Now, I found the car had a D15B2 long block in it, with a "16 valve" valve cover :confused: . Anyway, that engine is going to be replaced; I have found a D16A6 for $200. It was running before a B16A2 swap was done to its previous car, says the owner.

So here we go; for $200 I get a D16A6 that should run, and for a little more, somebody wants to come to my house and claims he can swap the motors :huh: . How on earth can you swap a motor with no engine hoist and simply use impact tools at most? Is he full of it? Forgive my ignorance, thats why I'm here :D

think he;s full of it

ok, maybe we can give the guy the beni of doubt, but I just started my b16a swap into a 90 civic hatch. when I pulled the old engine ( a d15) it was pretty heavy and it still has the tranny mind you, so I don't think there would be any way to get it out without a cherry picker(Unless he is planning on taking apart all the front end, bumper, all that, and pull it out from the front.
hope this helps

he can pull it easily withouth a hoist....undo everything incluing harness, hoses, axels..shift linkage n all....then when the motor is disconnected sitting on the floor.....jack the hell out of the car and pull it from underneath.......then when installing the new one....either use a poll with a chain strapped to the engine to the poll and have two buddies at each end of the poll....the lower it to where it needs to sit and bolt in a few mounts....viola...then put everything back together....or simply do the same way u took it out....how i alwaysdid it.....worked wonders

make sure the guy that is going to do it knows what he is doing (i doubt that he does) - since the CRX had a D15B2, it miust be a DX model - the D15B2 has Dual Point Fuel Injection - the D16A6 that you plan to install is the Si engine that has Multi Point Fuel Injection - in order to install it in your CRX, the wiring will need to be converted from DPFI to MPFI, which means adding wiring for the other 2 injectors, adding wiring for the Cylinder Position Sensor and adding an injector resistor box - you will need a different ECU (preferably PM6) as the ECU in the DX will not work with the MPFI on the D16A6 - it could also be done by swapping the intake manifold, distributor, etc. from the D15B2 onto the D16A6, which would not require you to do any wiring changes

you're not going to believe this; although it has a D15B2, it was an Si model. I could tell it was restored before; minor frame damage, new exterior parts, new engine mounts. But it was an Si model and therefore MPFI originally. The D16A6 SHOULD work then, right?

you're not going to believe this; although it has a D15B2, it was an Si model. I could tell it was restored before; minor frame damage, new exterior parts, new engine mounts. But it was an Si model and therefore MPFI originally. The D16A6 SHOULD work then, right?
yes, it should

thanks for the temp. peace of mind guys. So, we have a D16A6 that was running before it was taken out and a at-home swap. Hope it all works :)

ok, maybe we can give the guy the beni of doubt, but I just started my b16a swap into a 90 civic hatch. when I pulled the old engine ( a d15) it was pretty heavy and it still has the tranny mind you, so I don't think there would be any way to get it out without a cherry picker(Unless he is planning on taking apart all the front end, bumper, all that, and pull it out from the front.
hope this helps
not gonna work on a honda without breaking out the swazall

he could drop the trans, and then 2 people can pick the motor out with manual labor
or maybe he has a crane he'll bring with him?
this is definately not the EASY way to do it
lol

lol yeah not the easy way is right. I guess you could do all the extra work to take it out like that. couldn't you rent a cherry picker? I am working with one friend so just the two of us have been able to get it going so far. i just figure, I want to make my swap as smooth as possible, so I kinda got all my stuff ready to go and cleared a huge spot in garage. but, whatever works i guess.

I have lifted a d16a6+transmission out of the engine bay with no tools at all, I just muscled the thing out of its hole. Its only like 300 pounds or so. Two people could do it pretty easily.

hi there Ive done the same swap as you are doing. I disconected everything placed a floor jack under the sum and gentaly lowered motor to ground then with another floor jack i jacked the front of the car up intill motor cleared under neath of car. then pull jack out with motor on it just have to balance motor a little bit. befor i fitted my new motor i tock the gearbox off then i place new motor on jack and wheeled under car then i let the car down and just jacked motor up to engine mounts. Its a wee bit slower than a hoist but it works ok. then i placed gearbox on jack and refitted it to motor Crazy@woosh.co.nz

Back