d16a6 swap questions....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aight guys, i'm kinda new to the whole "honda" thing so don't flame me too bad if i ask a stupid question!!! i have an 89 crx dx (d15b2 with dpfi..grrr) and my its got some problems...(burns oil real bad, and the piston rings are shot) i'm planning on swapping the motor with a sohc zc d16a6 that i found for cheap ($275 with a warranty...) is this swap even worth the time? i was thinking about a z6 or y8 swap, but i figured the obd conversion would be a pita. somebody give me some advice...oh and sorry if this is a stupid question, but once i have the a6 in, can't i just swap on a z6 or y8 head? thanks for the help guys!!

hey I have a 90 rex with the mpfi swap (which was a bitch) and the z6 head. most people will swear up and down to do a dohc swap, either b16 or zc. It all deppends on the driver. dohc has more torque than the sohc, but with a little work and money you can make the same hp with the sohc as the b16. With the mpfi swap you'll need the full mpfi intake manifold and tb, along with the pm6 ecu and si disrupator. as long as you have the mpfi swap you can swap in a z6 or y8 head. you have to remember to pull out the oil jet in the block out before you put the new head on. the distubitor won't compltely bolt on the the z6 head, but the y8 doesn't have this problem. I hope this helps in any way.

275 sounds good to me. Its a good swap...especially better than that dx motor anyway.

do it you will notice a big difference from a dx, and yes if you want to later on you can put a z6 head on there or you can go turbo later on if you decide to and as far as the dohc zc you would barely notice a differnce between the dohc one and the sohc one

I dunno about that mini me swap. I think its just too much hassle. I would just get a full sohc vtec swap.

the only real hassle is the oil jet. the car will have the mpfi swap anyway. thats the real hard part. but if you want to spend the hundreds of dollars on an engine and put it in rather than a head swap (which would only take a few hours.) i would save the money, do the head swap, and use the extra cash to buy a vtec controller and possibly a better cam.

well, from what i have heard, doesn't the sohc zc have around 130hp? wouldn't it be kinda pointless to do a mini me on it since the hp would be about the same? i am planning on turbo'ing it in the future, would the mini me work better with a turbo setup? thanks for the input so far guys!!

Originally posted by krazywhitboy@Sep 7 2004, 03:08 AM
well, from what i have heard, doesn't the sohc zc have around 130hp? wouldn't it be kinda pointless to do a mini me on it since the hp would be about the same? i am planning on turbo'ing it in the future, would the mini me work better with a turbo setup? thanks for the input so far guys!!
[post=386863]Quoted post[/post]​

sohc zc has 118 horsepower 100ft pounds of torque and no the mini me wont be better for tubo since it is a 1.5 the rods are really weak the sohc zc is a 1.6 and will be way better for turbo, and they actually make aftermarket rods for the 1.6 so that you can build it up

also if you do plan on the turbo your best bet is to port and polish the non-vtec head and definatly change the rods to something a little more beefier. I mean, d15 rods are tiny.

ok last question, i know its kinda off topic, but what ecu would be best for the SOHC ZC swap? i know the pm6 si will work, but i also heard that the pg7 from the 88-89 integra will work better...any advice??

Originally posted by krazywhitboy@Sep 8 2004, 01:52 AM
ok last question, i know its kinda off topic, but what ecu would be best for the SOHC ZC swap? i know the pm6 si will work, but i also heard that the pg7 from the 88-89 integra will work better...any advice??
[post=387353]Quoted post[/post]​

i have only done the swap with the si ecu and it worked perfect i have heard that the 88-89 integ ecu has better timing curves but i would just use the si one especially if you want to pass smog

the 88-89 teg ecu will run rich. I prrefered the pm6 over the pg7 in the crx.

Back