D16A6 to D16Y8 Mini-me Swap Write-Up (PICS)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cheers guys! Thx for the post. I'm almost done, caught a little snag and broke a bolt in the block. One of the water pump bolts. I was quite sad, it stopped the show. But tomorrow I'll take it out and hopefully finish by the end of this week coming up. The full writeup should be a goodie.
Thanks again, hope it helps someone.
Z

nice writeup mang, and the paint scheme on the valve cover is pretty slick. sucks that the wp bolt broke off though. you're mostly there though, so i'm sure it will be running in no time.

i did wanna throw this out there though so you can update your page. that's not a fitv on the backside of the a6 manifold, it's a ficsv (fast idle control solenoid valve). its adds extra air into the im, but only when its about 12 degrees fahrenheit outside, or colder. it does this by way of an electric purge type valve, with input from the iat sensor. a fitv on the other hand is mounted on the underside of the throttle body, and is controlled entirely by coolant temperature with no electronic input. it greatly affects the cold start idle, everytime the car is started.

also, i wanted to tell you i feel your pain on the removal of the head gasket material gunk. i to struggled for awhile chipping away at the stuff when i did an a6/y8 swap. after a friend made a suggestion to me however, i ended up using an angle air grinder with a light grit pad, and it took all that material off in literally just minutes. i couldn't believe i had wasted like an hour and a half chipping away at the stuff with a razor. not like it will help you now, but in the future if you ever need to remove stubborn hg material, this method worked very well.

HAHA I spent 2 hours and a bit on that damn burnt head gasket! I'll try that next time D16SiHatch. Thx for the post, I'll make that correction. So if my Y8 has no ficsv will it affect the motor? Plus the plug on the backside of the TB is a fitv, not IAT? Did I get my sensors confused? =) Thx again.
Z

HAHA I spent 2 hours and a bit on that damn burnt head gasket! I'll try that next time D16SiHatch. Thx for the post, I'll make that correction. So if my Y8 has no ficsv will it affect the motor? Plus the plug on the backside of the TB is a fitv, not IAT? Did I get my sensors confused? =) Thx again.
Z

Not having the ficsv won't cause any adverse effects. It won't even throw a code if it's not plugged in. I believe the only thing on the back of the y8 manifold is the idle air control valve. There is no iat on the y8 manifold, on those engines it was mounted in the intake pipe. so either you need to relocate the iat wiring to the intake, or drill out a place to put in the iat.

Back