D16A8 Swap problem. Please help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

87zc1crx

First let me say hi to everybody here as it´s my first post. HI!
... now for the real problem:

I have a 87 crx from germany that had a zc-1 engine stock.
As it has a problem in the cranck, i have bought a d16a8 engine from a rover 416gti.
As this is a honda engine i thought it would be a almost direct swap...
WRONG!
I had to cut all mounts and weld them again, had to cut holes in the block and gearbox (because i used the zc-1 gearbox), same for starter engine and alternator, bend the exhaust header to fit, etc...
If you want i can provide more info on everything.
Now i have a "zc" in my car, it is installed mechanicly.
The only things i bought was the block+head, complete intake, injector resistor box and all wiring, pp5 ecu (with plugs and some wire) and engine wiring was still in place.
After we dropped it in, we started to convert the wiring to match the new ecu/engine.
Now it comes the problem, i don´t have... better i have all honda manuals i can find in the net... a lot... but none matches my cars wiring. The color codes are all diferent, and it´s never 100% the same.
For the rover wiring schematics i don´t have 1 execpt for 1 paper a guy sent me with all conections but no titles, so i can´t understand anything.
But besides that, i have managed to make it work after cutting every wire on engine and ecu and after blowing about 20 fuses... :)
Now i only have a code 9 and 16 to deal with.
The engine runs almost ok. It revs past 4000 and sounds very good, but at idle it´s got a somehow diferent sound. If you accel. it revs fast but makes some bangs (don´t know word /raters/ in english, so i say the noise).
Do you have any idea or hint?
I´m getting mad about it.
I have my car stopped for 2 months and i don´t have other.
Please give me a help.
My best

Check your Timing and Vaccum hoses. Both of these will make a shitty idle and backfires. Also, since I don't have a Chiltons manual next to my computer, what codes are the 9 and 16. That might give us all a better idea on what the MOTOR thinks is wrong with itself.

*EDIT* Since I remembered that the Reference section has an error code list, I looked to see what you are throwing, and according to our reference, correct me if this is not what your manual says or what not, but you are throwing the

9*- Accord Civic CRV CRX Del Sol Odyssey Prelude
85-98** 86-98 97-98 85-91 93-97 95-98 85-98
CYP Sensor (Cylinder)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor
* not a valid code for any throttle body injection Hondas
** not a valid code for V-6 engines

and

16- Accord Civic CRV CRX Del Sol Odyssey Prelude
90-95 88-95 n/a 88-91 93-95 95 88-95
Fuel Injector System
defective circuit or unplugged / defective fuel injector

Both good reasons why you may be idling shitty or backfiring. I suggest checking these first. :thumbsup:

Well, i really have kind of 6 wires to plug wich i don´t have any idea where they go to.
On the ecu there are 2 white wires that have horizontal stripes that i don´t have any ideia where they go to. Also on the engine plugs i have a brown/black wire that i don´t know where to connect.
On the injector resistor box there are 2 plugs, on the smaller one (not green) i have 2 blue wires that aren´t connected also.

man! i´ve checked and rechecked the cyl, tdc, cam sensors connections but i don´t have any idea what´s wrong. Perhaps it´s the earth connections that are messed... problem i think is that i ´m not shure if the rover wiring specs are just like the honda´s... i have a manual from haynes that explains the fuel injected systems and they have a section about honda/rover pgmfi and it has some diferencies between them... or i´m getting it wrong..

if you look in http://www.d-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=5443 i have some pics of the wires.
If you downld them and zoom, you can see the wiring changes.... i guess

I can post better pics if needed.

Thanks for your help. I´m going to work on it today during the day (it´s 10:21am now) and i´ll tell you later.
Bye

Hello

After all this time i was only able to find out why i got error 16 and fix it.
Now i use a pg7 ecu from a us car, that gives code 20 and 9.
20 i can live with it (eld) but the 9 is making me go crazy...
I´ve checked the cyl sensor connection and i don´t find any problem.
They go directly from C1 and C2 to the sensor... isn´t that right?

Has anyone swapped a d16a8 into a 87 crx?
Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Back