D16Y into an 89 Civic DX HB

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamielay

ok, a buddy of mine has an 89 hb with a blown motor. I happen to have got ahold of a d16y (from a 99 civic vtec swap) for next to nothing. I understand that because of wiring issues, this is not the best choice, but hey, you work with what you got, right? From what I understand, this will "bolt in", but I should use his cable trans, correct? Should I use his old ECU or a newer one? Anyone have wiring diagrams for this type of swap? Any info would be much appreciated, since we are planning to start pulling things apart soon. I would like to have any parts I need to buy ahead of time (of course)

Thanks in advance,
jamie

All I got to say is good luck with that. You need to know alot about wiring to even really attempt this. As far as the tranny goes, find a hydro and get a cable to hydro conversion kit.

i would assume that the engine is a D16Y7 since it was swapped out for a VTEC engine - is this correct? - it will bolt right up to the 89 transmission - you will need to use the front mount (that bolts to the timing belt end of the block) from the 89 engine on the Y7 - the easiest way to do this swap is to run it OBD0 - use the engine harness from the 89 - if the 89 is a DX or STD model, you will need to do the DPFI to MPFI wiring changes to the harness - use 88-91 Si injectors, injector resistor box, 88-91 CRX/Civic Si ECU (PM6) and 88-91 Si or HF distributor - extend the wires for the MAP sensor and use the Y7 MAP which is on the throttle body - the Y7 cooling fan switch is on the thermostat housing - the 89 switch is on the back of the block by the oil filter - you need to extend the wires and change connector in order to plug it in - everything else should connect right up

Originally posted by jlicrx@Jun 20 2005, 08:52 AM
i would assume that the engine is a D16Y7 since it was swapped out for a VTEC engine - is this correct? - it will bolt right up to the 89 transmission - you will need to use the front mount (that bolts to the timing belt end of the block) from the 89 engine on the Y7 - the easiest way to do this swap is to run it OBD0 - use the engine harness from the 89 - if the 89 is a DX or STD model, you will need to do the DPFI to MPFI wiring changes to the harness - use 88-91 Si injectors, injector resistor box, 88-91 CRX/Civic Si ECU (PM6) and 88-91 Si or HF distributor - extend the wires for the MAP sensor and use the Y7 MAP which is on the throttle body - the Y7 cooling fan switch is on the thermostat housing - the 89 switch is on the back of the block by the oil filter - you need to extend the wires and change connector in order to plug it in - everything else should connect right up
[post=514321]Quoted post[/post]​

on the map sensor wiring swap the 2 outside wires cause if you dont the ecu will think the throttle is wide open :)

Back