D16Y TO D16Y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TAZDEYO

I have a 00 civic DX with 120k on the clock. I got my hands on a D16y8 I guess (99 ex motor) for dirt cheep I plan on doing a complete rebuild with Scat h rods, top line crank, JE pistons, skunk2 valves; springs; and retainers, obx stage 2 cam, and many other goodies. Im not looking for cheepest way out or the easiest just a see what I can accomplish with it.

The question I have is the ECU and vtec controller the DX is obviosly not Vtec. the EX is but I dont have that box. Im hoping the AEM um...plug & play EMS can resolve this problem without to much difficulty. Iwould like to have the Lap top on board for nearly instant adjustments at the line or on the fly. I also plan on poping on a jacksonracing or Vortech supercharger. Im looking for a good balance of reliablity and performance.

Im hoping to also put a close ratio trany with an LSD and high performance axleshafts.

the goal is to get as close to or better than 200HP and be able to drive it to work (not that im going to be using it as the primary ride)

any input on the matter would be great help thanx

It seems like you have a good plan in place. If you have the money to follow thru on it. Personal if you wanted to stick with the d-series non-turbo. I would look into head work as well: valve springs, retainers, valve job, and possible a port and polish. You should decide if you want to go all motor or supercharger. The cams shafts for one don't necessarly (sp) suit the other job well.

My .02 along with just about everyone on this site is don't settle for being a D-series student, go for the B.

A GSR or ITR motor will close to your power goal with less modification. Less mods = more reliablity
More reliablity = happy daily driver

:( THANX for the opinions but Id really like to do it this way. the focus is not the destination but the journey. and yes I have the money. Any one can drop a b16 or a b18 and get a butt load of power. But to me is the satisfaction of rebuilding a less powerfull car/engine from the ground up and accompishing achieving the goals set forth. another thing is it will only cost me 3500 to achieve the goal (minus the charger) and to find a B16/B18 with 00000 miles on it will cost me well above that. Those are the reasoning why I want to go with a D series.

Im not sure If you noticed the question though. I was wondering If I can use the same ECU accompanied with the AEM EMS that the DX is already supplied with or must I get the ecu for the swap.

Originally posted by TAZDEYO@Sep 10 2004, 01:16 AM
I have a 00 civic DX with 120k on the clock. I got my hands on a D16y8 I guess (99 ex motor) for dirt cheep I plan on doing a complete rebuild with Scat h rods, top line crank, JE pistons, skunk2 valves; springs; and retainers, obx stage 2 cam, and many other goodies. Im not looking for cheepest way out or the easiest just a see what I can accomplish with it. 

The question I have is the ECU and vtec controller the DX is obviosly not Vtec. the EX is but I dont have that box. Im hoping the AEM um...plug & play EMS can resolve this problem without to much difficulty.  Iwould like to have the Lap top on board for nearly instant adjustments at the line or on the fly.  I also plan on poping on a jacksonracing or Vortech supercharger.  Im looking for a good balance of reliablity and performance.

Im hoping to also put a close ratio trany with an LSD and high performance axleshafts.

the goal is to get as close to or better than 200HP and be able to drive it to work (not that im going to be using it as the primary ride)

any input on the matter would be great help thanx
[post=388417]Quoted post[/post]​

put supra twin turbo pistons in it (these are almost the same size as D16Y8 plus they are forged!!!!!!! :lol:

a d-series without boost is sluggish...IMO worthless....add a turbo for 1500 and be happy
use uber and oh yeah....vitara pistons....forged and EXACTLY the same size as the honda OEM (not close) ...find them for well under 200
jman

the stock ecu, with the EMS will work. Or you could pick up a p28 pretty cheap, get hondata, and tune the hell out of it - much better.

Back