D16Y5 (98 civic hx) to B16A2 (99 civic si) SWAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic98mi

K, like the topic says...I have a 98 civic hx D16Y5 SOHC VTEC-E...5-speed. I'm starting to look at swaps and I definately want to do one this summer. Soooo, i'm assuming the 99-00 SI motor would fit best, since it's from an identical chasis. So i'm trying to gather a list of everything I need....so far i know i'll need the b16a2 engine and tranny, and from what i've heard, all the motor mounts from this motor will bolt right into my car. I also know i'll need the SI ecu, which is obd2 i think??? I also think that my car is obd2, so the ecu should plug right in without a conversion harness. I also heard that I could use my stock wiring harness, and just add like 3 wires to it (vtec, knock sensor, and something else) but would it just be easier to buy the 99 SI harness? Also, I know i'd need axles, which i'm guessing I could take from the SI and bolt those on? Shift linkeage...also take from the SI. Would this swap work with my stock gauge cluster or would my mph and rpm be off? Also, i'd want to change the mileage to whatever the new engine has, so i'm guessing I'd just take the si cluster (hopefully it'll plug into my stock hx harness). Last, is exhaust...right now i have a catback exhaust, its either 2.25 or 2.5" I can't remember, it's an Airmass Thundermuff catback. Would this bolt onto the SI manifold/downpipe? Anyone with any info would be really appreciated, even if you can't answer all of this. Thanks.

Edit: I'm also considering a B18C Swap from a teggy gsr, I'd take that over the b16, but i'm also looking at reliability (daily driver) and an easy swap. I guess it just depends on whatever motor I end up finding for a good price.

you are on the right track. if you get a complete change over swap, then everything from motor, tranny, ecu, shiftlikage, axles, wireharness, and mounts are included. just in case the left side mount( the one that on the side of the timming belt) wont fit, you have to get that one from the 99-00 si and you also need an si rear mount too. use you old stock wireharness and add wires like you said ,the wireharness came with the motor wont work. your stock wireharness will plug and play in any obd2 ecu including si ecu. I think your cat back would bolt on, if not due to the short or long header of the si or after market header, you would need a little modification like mine. your gauge cluster would fits perfectly and accurately and if you have the $$$$ get an si gauge cluster like my for look would be nice. Your swap should be easy, as I experienced the hardest part for me is getting the axles in out. hope this help

I also heard that I could use my stock wiring harness, and just add like 3 wires to it (vtec, knock sensor, and something else)

VTEC
Oil Pressure switch (VTEC)
Knock sensor
Manifold control solenoid (GSR only)
IAC pin switched to match the correct pin for the B Series 'puter

It helps to have the sensor connectors (Vtec, Vtec oil pressure switch, Knock sensor) for the B series engine. Makes life much easier.

Back