d16y5 build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i picked up a d16y5 today for $40 complete bottom end that has a spun bearing, i plan on rebuilding it and want to do a vitara build, are these any different than a y7? i heard the blocks were the same but im not sure ive never looked at a y7 very close, what is the same and what is different with the blocks?

I do believe the y7 and y5 have extremely similar bottom ends. I would go to a honda parts site to check the OEM part numbers though.

y7,y8, and y5 all have same block.
pistons are different
fine for a vitara build
don't forget to port the oil pump

okay, one thing i noticed that i dont think is that way on my z6 is the way the coolant gets to the water pump, its just a tube that runs across the back, i thought these passages were inside the block? or am i just not looking close enough at my z6 to notice?

okay, one thing i noticed that i dont think is that way on my z6 is the way the coolant gets to the water pump, its just a tube that runs across the back, i thought these passages were inside the block? or am i just not looking close enough at my z6 to notice?
that's pretty much true of all honda 4 cylinder motors from the 90's
it's hard to see with the engine in the car, because it's under the intake manifold.
here is my z6 when i was putting it together:
DCFN0001-1.jpg

Last edited:
alright thanks, what is that black box for exactly also? i took a picture of mine but my sd slot on my computer isnt working so i cant really upload any pics right now

its for the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV).
for relieving positive pressure in the crankcase.
it allows the vapors to escape but the oil goes back into the block.
the pcv valve in the intake manifold is connected to it by a hose.

oh alright, i guess ive just never looked close enough... so i think im getting some ideas together for this thing, i can get all the parts for it at dealer cost through the guy i bought it off of so i want eagle H beams with king or acl bearings and vitara pistons (probably not any dealer pricing on these, but they're cheap) mishimoto black Z line i/c, radiator and silicone hoses, egay cast manifold and godspeeed charge piping, but what should i do with valvetrain and turbo/ wastegate/ and bov? any ideas are appreciated :ph34r:

i think i've changed my mind on this since its gonna be a DD car, i think im gonna go n/a with it, some good headwork, cam, springs, still wanna do H beams, not sure on pistons though... what else? maybe bore it out to 76 mm? or bigger?

got some prices for a machine shop today $25 hot tank $75 bore $75 hone, and $225 for a stage 1 PnP with 5 angle valve job, those seem reasonable?

Back