D16Y5 into Integra?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I hear what you're saying about the weight. I've read people are getting 50-60mpg with these engines in lighter cars. I know too small of an engine will make it work too hard so I wonder whether the Y5 or Z1 engine would be better. I was going to get an LS integra and take the back seats out and get some lightweight wheels and hope for the best. I was hoping for somewhere between 38-50mpg. Anything will be better than the 17mpg my truck gets.

Highway?

If so, either Y5 or Z1 should be able to do the trick. My brother gets about 31-37mpg average(hwy/city combined) with a D15B7 in his Civic CX, which is one of the lightest 5th gen Civics(around 2200lbs IIRC). I'd assume the Integra may have less drag than the Civic as far as highway cruising goes but that's pure speculation.

curb weight for a 95 CX was 2108lbs

instead of swapping a smaller engine into an integra, why not just look for a civic CX VX or HX
all of them are capable of touching 40mpg on the highway right out of the box or without much effort
even a DX or EX could work
hell my Del Sol Si (D16Z6) was getting 40-44 mpg on the highway and all i did was remove the resonator from the air box and add a K&N filter... a lighter civic hatch with a more efficient engine would have no problem matching or beating those numbers

other things you could do are:
get a low rolling resistance rated tire
run the tires at a higher PSI
practice good throttle control
remove weight where you can
warm air intake
etc...

if you want real fuel efficiency, then get a first gen Insight
my 2000 insight was averaging 60-65mpg over the course of the tank regularly with normal driving.... when i took care to drive easy i managed to average 73.2mpg over the tank... thats not hypermiling or any of that shit... i was simply driving easier... there were a few people on the insight board i was on that were competing to be the first to average 110mpg for a tank (that im sure was hypermiling)

basically there are better choices than dropping a small engine into an integra

Last edited:
I have a weekend car that is fast but gets bad gas mileage. So I really don't care how fast this car is other than I don't want to get run over.

Then why don't you just buy a Civic with the engine you want already installed into it from the factory?

Have you ever even driven an Integra? I have one and I certainly wouldn't call it a "luxury car", not by a long shot. They're basically just Civics with different body panels...

yeah, putting a d series into an integra would be a waste of time and money.
you wont see significant gains in mpg.

my last integra i was getting 34 in the city, and about 38 on the hwy.
i shifted like a granny at between 2 and 2.5k rpm and rarely got on it. fresh tune up and a nice can of seafoam to clean it out. and regular maintenance.
also, i didnt have a cat on it (surprisingly enough, it passed emissions with no problem)

putting a d series would just be stupid.

My Stock 95 CX gets about 40-45 mpg, Not gonna lie I love it... but that small D15B8 is about to get swapped with my B18B1 seeing how MPG is not something Im worried about lol.

If I were you, just find a 92-95 Hatch, your gas milage will be amazing and there reletively cheap to buy if you look hard enough.

It seems the consensus is the most I'll be gaining 5-10mpg and it's not worth doing. That's what I was looking for, thanks for all of the info. I think I'll pass on this and just get a complete car.

It seems the consensus is the most I'll be gaining 5-10mpg and it's not worth doing. That's what I was looking for, thanks for all of the info. I think I'll pass on this and just get a complete car.

Like I said, I would just go for a HX Civic that already has the D16Y5 in it. The Integra really is NOT a luxury car. It's just a slightly classier-looking Civic...

man, if you consider an integra a luxury car, you should go drive some better cars.
wait til you get in an infinti.

or better yet, go find a phantom.

Honestly- I'd look into getting an OBD1 B20 with a non-VTEC B series manual transmission (basically the LS/GS) and just tune it really well. The larger displacement will give you more torque on demand to move the car at lower RPMs, and you can tune the engine to run leaner than stoichiometric at low loads. Tuning is much easier for cheap on OBD1 and non-OBD cars, plus you can run an ECU setup that won't need to be scanned at the inspection station if you're in an emissions check county.

What part of Texas are you in?

I drove an integra once years ago. When I said luxury car I didn't mean mercedes, infiniti etc. I meant luxury for getting 40+mpg, having power windows, sunroof, cruise control and not looking like you're driving a yugo. I'm in emissions check Tarrant County.

Back