d16y5 vs d15b7

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thegreat1310

ok does anybody think its a good engine to swap out my tired d15b7?on the y5 the emissions shit is gonna go bye bye,and run the pg7,i noticed that engines has rollor rockers,and im gonna use a nitrous wot switch for vtec. the y5 is very good condition,the b7 pisses oil out the exaust.o and i plan on running 6psi of boost with afc2 dsm450,i wanna get 200whp do u think i can reach it with this setup,ps heads gonna be ported aswell :worthy:

Sure, you could try to use that engine. Anything has to be better than a tired B7 that's dumping oil everywhere. I think 200whp is doable, but you might want to make sure you have some good tuning, and maybe have a custom cam on standby.

The problem with your proposed setup - it will run like crap.

I'm not talking about the lack of any tunable ems. You'll probably need closer to 10psi to hit 200whp on that cam. I'm also sure the only aftermarket cam is a custom regrind - cheaper to get a z6 head AND the z6 zex cam.

The biggest issue is how you plan on activating vtec. That motor runs 1 valve on the 'normal' lobe and one on a VERY TINY (enough so gas doesn't puddle at the seat) normally, and vtec makes that one lifter follow the lobe of the other. Think of it as vtec ONLY making the 2nd valve work, nothing more. That said, there's no way to tune that with a WOT switch...technically. It will basicly run like stock dsm running its BOV to atmosphere. Vtec should be activated via RPM activation switch [as the cheapest option].

That's no worse than boosting a non-VTEC D16. You can still make good power on it if you tune it right, and getting a cam custom ground from a company like Delta or Web doesn't cost all that much more than a normal aftermarket cam.

Back