1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d16y5

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by paki, Jun 25, 2004.

1. paki

paki Junior Member

according 2 info on this site the d16 y5 makes abt 115 peak hp in stock form. how much of an increase in hp should it get with a y8 intake manifold on it.

my reason 2 ask is that here in pakistan the 96-2000 vtec civics were offered with a d16y6 which was the first efi n vtec civic offered from factory. it shares the same block n head as the y5 but has the y8 intake n exhaust manifold n a y8 tranny. the code on the ecu is p6F which i beleive operates in a closed loop circuit since these cars r not eqipped with o2 sensors.

lastly if i swap this head with a d15z7 head ( jdm obd2 d15b dual vtec solenoids n a similar cam DESIGN like the y8 ) will it operate properly or i would have 2 change the ecu 2 the relevant code as well. if im not wrong this would be a similar mini me like the y5 block n y8 head.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanx.
  2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

the y8 manifold will probably give you about 5 hp.

is your car fuel injected now?
  3. paki

paki Junior Member

honoured 2 have an admin reply 2 my post!!!
    yes the car is fuel injected. the d16y6 is i beleive a mix of the y5 n y8 from factory , as i wrote in my previous message that it shares the same block n head as the y5 but has the y8 intake n xhaust manifold n tranny ( 4.25 fd ) but the ecu is an obd2 P6F operating in a closed loop circuit .
    this ecu is i guess designed 2 run the motor without the use of an o2 sensor so no o2 from factory. well none of the EFI cars that are assembled here have o2 sensors n by the way we dont even have catalytic convertors hence making the cars exhausts less restrictive.
    anyway getting 2 the point, if u put a y8 head n intake mani on a y5 block but retain the y5 ecu would it run at all or not up 2 the mark of a proper y8 or the relevant ecu has 2 b swapped as well 2 make this hybrid operate. does the y8 head have 2 vtec solenoids or 1.

thanx in advance.