d16y7 into 91 crx hf

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mic471

can anyone tell me what is needed to do this swap

Either or, you will need an OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness from Boomslang or wherever. You will also need to use a D15b7 distributor (considering it is an OBD1 dizzy). Also, is your current setup DPFI or MPFI?.

I just did this swap. Here is how i did it! I put the engine in with a header. I swaped the HF distributor over to the new engine. I drilled a hole in the block coolant plug in the back of the block and welded a 16mm 1.5 nut on it for the fan switch, and extended the map sensor wires. slaped in an OBD O Si Ecu and started it right up! now as far as V tec is concerned. Instead of an expensive Conversion harness I bought a nice shift light tach and hooked the shift light to the v tech ans set it for 4200 RPM! the car screams!

its a 1996 honda civic 1.6 base engine D16Y7 and i want to put it in my 91 crx hf and i want to know everything tha i will need.

I just did this swap. Here is how i did it! I put the engine in with a header. I swaped the HF distributor over to the new engine. I drilled a hole in the block coolant plug in the back of the block and welded a 16mm 1.5 nut on it for the fan switch, and extended the map sensor wires. slaped in an OBD O Si Ecu and started it right up! now as far as V tec is concerned. Instead of an expensive Conversion harness I bought a nice shift light tach and hooked the shift light to the v tech ans set it for 4200 RPM! the car screams!

Hey bud, there is no OBD0 VTEC computers. You need either OBD1 or OBD2a -or- b ECU in order to have leave alone activate VTEC, and you do need an OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness.

Considering you already have the OB2 I believe (a) set-up you will not need a conversion harness because you already have an OBD2 Civic. What ECU code do you have (ex. P28)?

Hey bud, there is no OBD0 VTEC computers. You need either OBD1 or OBD2a -or- b ECU in order to have leave alone activate VTEC, and you do need an OBD0-OBD1 conversion harness.

he never said there was an obd0 vtec computer, he said he hooked up vtec to a shift light. which is an improper way to hook it up anyway, but thats another story. lastly their are obd0 vtec ecu's. search for a pr3 or pw0.

to OP: if you want it to run properly you'll want to convert it to obd1 and run an ecu chipped with a y7 basemap. since you're not exactly trying to make this a race car seeing as how you're puttin a y7 in it, you could if you so choose just run it off a stock p28, or a pm6 and run it obd0. It won't run perfect and you risk running into trouble down the line, but it would work. i do not recommend switching to obd2 because you then will have to hook up all the extra evap equipment, crank fluctuation sensor, etc. and it's a giant pain in the dick.

How does that work?. I mean don't you need to have VTEC in order to put a shift light on it?. I am a confused noob, haha.

Look In the ECU section for the pin out chart! There are Obd 0 Vtec Competers. I am running this in Dirt car but for as simple as this was to do, and how AWESOME having the Vtec Adustable for track conditions like I did last night! "Smoked them" You honda "Improper Way! guys" can Bite me! IT WORKS! It was Easy! We had a machine hooked to the car and put it thru its paces fuel map was good att the way thru! runs cool Idles perfect. Snappy and revy! I would do this in a street car Any day! In fact I plan on it! when I find a decent lil car to stuff one in.

Either read the Pinout chart and add all the proper wires, Or Buy a Tach with a programable shift light. set the shift point to what ur motor cals for Like 4200? 4600? whatever then dab a lil clear Silicone at the baseof the knob so It dont move. run the wire that energises at the shift point to the Vtech solinoid! DUDE spend $150 on a nice tac not on some cheese ass Jumper Kit!

well if you wanna do it right buy the obd-2 harness, ecu, and the d16y7 motor and drop it in and just run the stock ecu and harness. I actually have the ecu for sale if you need it by the way. Either way if you plan on swapping in a motor I learned from experience it is way easier to just swap over everything. Later on if you wanna tune it, you could buy the obd-2 to obd1 conversion harness and buy a tuned ecu. any reason you chose the y7? for a bit more money you could find a vtec d16z6 or d16y8 motor.

+1 rep for showin me up, and knowing what you are talking about.

so he gets rep, and i don't huh. i see how it is lol.

in reply to philyfreak, i dont think it would be easiest to convert everything to obd2. that would be the pain in the ass way to go. like i said above, if he does that he will have to run all the obd2 equipment. extra o2 sensor, more stringent evap equipment, crankshaft fluctuation sensor, etc. it would easier to run a similar mapped ecu, or just get an obd1 ecu chipped with a y7 basemap.

This is a pointless swap. The only thing good this swap is used for is to give the Rex to your wife and she will think it's fast. Try looking around for a y8 head but keep in mind that the y7 and y8 motors spin bearings vary quick. Good luck!

so wat about the motor mounts
help me finish and some one tell me wat motor mounts r needed for this swap

Look In the ECU section for the pin out chart! There are Obd 0 Vtec Competers. I am running this in Dirt car but for as simple as this was to do, and how AWESOME having the Vtec Adustable for track conditions like I did last night! "Smoked them" You honda "Improper Way! guys" can Bite me! IT WORKS! It was Easy! We had a machine hooked to the car and put it thru its paces fuel map was good att the way thru! runs cool Idles perfect. Snappy and revy! I would do this in a street car Any day! In fact I plan on it! when I find a decent lil car to stuff one in.

Either read the Pinout chart and add all the proper wires, Or Buy a Tach with a programable shift light. set the shift point to what ur motor cals for Like 4200? 4600? whatever then dab a lil clear Silicone at the baseof the knob so It dont move. run the wire that energises at the shift point to the Vtech solinoid! DUDE spend $150 on a nice tac not on some cheese ass Jumper Kit!
The rpm switch idea works but there is no saftey net with that setup ie. no low oil pressure vtec cutoff+ d16y oil pump= grenade. I'm not trying to flame your setup though. i would just recommend something a little more cookie cutter for this particular setup.

This is a pointless swap. The only thing good this swap is used for is to give the Rex to your wife and she will think it's fast. Try looking around for a y8 head but keep in mind that the y7 and y8 motors spin bearings vary quick. Good luck!
It's not the y7 is the torque monster of the d's. plus there is decent aftermarket support, and are great with turbos.

Back